Military Affairs

seahawks-who-served-web-headerThinking of applying to UNCW?

If you are thinking of applying to UNCW as a military-affiliated student, here are some things to consider: 

  • UNCW serves more than 2,200 military-affiliated students (those who have served, are currently serving, and their spouses and children are all considered military-affiliated). 


  • When the new Veterans Hall building is completed (coming online in fall 2020), the Office of Military Affairs will be moving and expanding our services into a space that will offer a larger lounge and reception area, a full kitchen, a quiet study room, and a training classroom, as well as office space for our staff. 



  • Many of our military-affiliated students use VA benefits to attend UNCW; some use Tuition Assistance or military college programs; and others use financial aid, scholarships, or a combination of the above. 


  • The Veteran's Choice Act is legislation that allows certain military-affiliated students to be awarded in-state tuition rates when they are not considered North Carolina residents. You must apply for the Veteran's Choice Act; it is not awarded automatically. 


Admissions Webinar 

You may listen to a recorded webinar concerning military-affiliated admissions that answers many common questions about admissions policies and procedures. 


The Post-9/11 GI Bill and Other VA Benefits

Learn more about how to use VA benefits at UNCW on our VA Benefits Resource page. 

I'm not using VA benefits, but I am using military education benefits.

Tuition Assistance

Students who are interested in using Tuition Assistance (TA) need to proceed to the appropriate website below to begin: 



Marine Corps

Air Force

Coast Guard

You are eligible to apply for financial aid and scholarships. If you have questions about billing and which costs are covered by TA, please contact our Third Party Billing Office at Learn more about the UNCW Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Defense

If you are applying to attend UNCW as part of a military college or commissioning program, please contact Micah Jarrett in the Office of Admissions (; 910-962-2550) for help with procuring the necessary admissions paperwork according to the deadlines for your program. 

Scholarships and Financial Aid at UNCW

All students are encouraged to apply for scholarships and financial aid at UNCW. The general scholarship application is open from Dec. 1-Mar. 1 for the following year; some scholarships are specifically designated for military-affiliated students, while others are designated for non-traditional students, a category that includes veterans, those currently serving, and their spouses.

Students should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for fall/spring and an additional FAFSA for the summer term, if taking classes during the summer. Scholarships are also available for study abroad programs. 

Many scholarships for military service members, veterans, and their family members are available through a variety of organizations. UNCW is a member of the Southeastern Council on Military Education (SECOME), which means that our students are eligible to apply for the SECOME scholarship. We are also members of the Council of College and Military Educators (CCME), and our students may apply for the CCME scholarship as well. 

UNCW offers a military-affiliated student payment plan, which may be set up through the student's eBill. This payment plan allows the bill to be divided into 3 payments. 

Honors College

Military-affiliated students often find that they are a good fit for the UNCW Honors College. The Honors College allows students to participate in small classes with dedicated faculty mentorship. The honors designation on your transcript and diploma may help you be a more competitive candidate for graduate programs and jobs. Learn more about student veterans' experiences in the Honors College.  

Housing at UNCW

Housing is available at UNCW for both first-year students and transfer students. Off-campus housing is also available. For those who choose to live off-campus close to the university, UNCW offers a free shuttle service

Parking at UNCW

All faculty, staff, and students pay for parking permits to park on campus at UNCW. Students who are veterans or who are currently serving are eligible for a $20 discount on parking permits. Students may register for a parking permit after they have registered for classes. Visitors may park for free in visitor's parking (see map below). 

How to Apply to UNCW 

Military students and veterans apply to UNCW as transfer students. UNCW waives the application fee for active duty service members; when completing the payment portion of the application please select "pay by check" and select "submit". Follow up with an e-mail to: with your name, date of birth and request for the active duty fee waiver. 

If you've taken college classes before, you may use the transfer equivalency tool to evaluate how many of your credits will transfer over.

As part of the application process, you'll need to request transcripts from any other schools you've attended. Usually, they have an online option where you can have the transcript emailed to You can also have transcripts mailed to the following address:

University of North Carolina Wilmington
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
601 S College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403 – 5904

You’ll also need to request your military transcript through Joint Services Transcripts (JST); sometimes training that you’ve taken in the military counts toward college credit. When you are in the Joint Services Transcript portal, be sure to search for "University of North Carolina Wilmington" (instead of "UNCW") and select the undergraduate Office of Admissions. 

If you have additional questions about transfer credits, please contact the Office of Admissions and ask for a transfer admissions coordinator at 910-962-3243.

Military spouses and dependents may apply as first-year or transfer students depending on their circumstances. 

Testing Services

UNCW offers testing services at the Camp Lejeune Base Education Center; tests include the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Defense Activity for Non-traditional Educational Support (DANTES) Standardized Subject Tests (DSSTs), which can replace college credit for certain courses with a single test. Testing is free for active duty and reserve service members, and testing services are also available for veterans and civilians. 

In other words, you could take a test in a standard college subject for free and have it count toward general education college credits, saving you time and allowing you to get to the required coursework for your major earlier in your college career. Learn more about CLEP and DANTES testing at Camp Lejeune, including how to register for tests. 

The Yellow Ribbon Program

The Office of Military Affairs often receives questions about the Yellow Ribbon Program. UNCW is not part of the Yellow Ribbon Program because the Post-9/11 GI Bill already covers all in-state tuition and fees here. In other words, UNCW is ineligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program because we are so affordable! Our tuition is well under the maximum amount that can be covered in full by the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program or read our post about how to evaluate higher education programs on the Military Seahawk Blog. 

I have more questions...

The staff of the Office of Military Affairs is here to answer your questions. You may email the Melanie Nelson, the Military Students Services Specialist, at  

If you are a current military member who is preparing to transition out of the military, you may contact Melanie Nelson as the academic counselor for your transition capstone program. 

Please continue exploring the Military Affairs website, as well as the rest of the website

Additionally, you may find some of the free resources available through PsychHub to be helpful to you as you undergo the transition from the military. PsychHub's The Transition School is comprised of 13 courses covering topics such as telling your own story, navigating medical benefits and pursuing employment. The courses, which can be taken in any order you wish, are designed to support separating and retiring military members, their family members, future employers and even Veterans who are going through new transitions.  

Thank you for considering UNCW, and we look forward to hearing from you and to helping you begin your academic journey here!


Logo showing Military Times Best for Vets 2019     Military Times logo for Best for Vets award