Military Affairs

Parents of Military-affiliated Students

Select a topic from the sidebar to the right to learn more about support services for military dependents at UNCW. 

Office of Military Affairs

The Office of Military Affairs serves all military-affiliated students, including those who have served in the military and their families.

UNCW Support for Military-affiliated Students 

Military dependents are welcome in the Military Affairs Wing in Veterans Hall 1029.

  • Free snacks and coffee
  • Microwave and refrigerator
  • Individual and group study space

Your student will receive a weekly email newsletter from the Office of Military Affairs when classes are in session. 

Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits

Many students who attend UNCW use Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits to pay tuition and fees: 

  • Chapter 33 (the Post-9/11 GI Bill)
  • Chapter 35 (Dependents' Educational Assistance)
  • Fry scholarship (part of Chapter 33)

Please visit our VA Benefits Resources page for more information about getting started with VA benefits at UNCW. 

UNCW Cost of Attendance

Learn more about the annual cost of attendance at UNCW

Scholarships and Financial Aid 

All students are encouraged to apply for scholarships.

Students who are using the North Carolina Department of Military and Veterans Affairs scholarship may contact our Third Party Billing office for assistance ( 

Students should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for fall/spring and an additional FAFSA for the summer term, if taking classes during the summer.

UNCW offers a military-affiliated student payment plan, which allows the bill to be divided into 3 payments over the course of the fall or spring semester. 

Contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for assistance with understanding your student's bill

Health Insurance

Students on university campuses are required to have health insurance. Each semester, students must choose whether to enroll in the student health insurance plan or to waive the plan and provide proof of another form of health insurance. If they do not waive the plan, the fee will be added as a charge on their eBill. 

Students may opt to have more than one kind of health insurance. 

For access to Tricare proof of health coverage, visit milConnect

For proof of enrollment for insurance purposes, email the Registrar's Office ( to request a letter of enrollment verification. 

North Carolina Residency 

The North Carolina Residency Determination Service (NC RDS) decides whether a student is considered in-state (resident) or out-of-state (non-resident). 

Access residency requirements and complete the NC RDS process. Ensure that your student logs back in to the RDS system to submit additional paperwork as required. 

If your student's determination is out-of-state and you believe this to be in error, contact RDS for guidance on submitting a reconsideration or appeal. 

Learn how to qualify for the Veteran's Choice Act and the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Proof of Enrollment or Enrollment Verification

If you need a letter verifying your student's enrollment at UNCW (for example, in order to update their military ID card, to update DEERS, or for insurance purposes), please email to request an enrollment verification letter.


If you have questions about UNCW, please contact

Please continue to explore Military Affairs at UNCW and We look forward to having your student as a Military Seahawk! 

Logo showing Military Times Best for Vets 2019