Military Affairs

Text reading Seahawks Who Served against a backdrop of a rippling U.S. flag

Military Spouses

Select a topic from the sidebar to the right to learn more about support services for military spouses at UNCW.

Office of Military Affairs

The Office of Military Affairs serves all military-affiliated students, including those who have served in the military and their families. You are considered military-affiliated whether you are using VA educational benefits, such as the Post-9/11 GI Bill, or not. 

About a third of our total military-affiliated population is made up of military spouses. Many of our students fall into more than one category of military affiliation; for example, some of our students are both military spouses and military members or veterans.

One member of the Office of Military Affairs staff is a military spouse, and lots of other UNCW staff members are military spouses, too. In other words, you'll be in good company here. For students in Onslow County and the Jacksonville area, the Office of Military Affairs has an office in the Base Education Center at New River Air Station, where you can connect with Joanna DeMott (, our Military Liaison and Program Coordinator. 

UNCW Benefits for Military-affiliated Students 

As a military-affiliated student at UNCW, you are always welcome to use the resources available in the Military Affairs Wing in Veterans Hall 1029 (think free snacks and coffee, a microwave and refrigerator, plus comfy places to spread out and do homework).

You'll also be part of the Military-affiliated Student Listserv, a weekly email newsletter that keeps you up-to-date on military community events, both on campus and off; scholarship opportunities, many of which are designated specifically for military spouses; internship and job listings; and UNCW support services. 

Military spouses who are interested in online programs at UNCW may choose from undergraduate degrees that are totally online, as well as online master's degrees or graduate certificates and licensure programs

For more information about how to apply to UNCW, please visit our Prospective Students page. 

If you were recently accepted to UNCW, please visit our Newly Admitted Students page. 

If you are a current UNCW student, please visit our Current Students page. 

If you are planning to use Veterans Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits, please visit our VA Benefits Resources page. 

My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA)

At UNCW, the Office of Continuing and Professional Education helps students access My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) benefits, a program that helps military spouses pay for certifications, continuing professional education, and graduate certificates in a variety of fields. 

If you are pursuing a graduate certificate with MyCAA, request that your academic advisor sign your Educational Training Plan (ETP) as the university official.

Military Spouse Support Programs

Joanna is a speaker for Onward2Opportunity cohorts at both Camp Lejeune and Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station, a program that helps military spouses gain access to professional training certificates, such as the Project Management Professional (PMP) certificate. She is also a guest speaker for the Camp Lejeune Leadership Seminar, which offers a three-day seminar twice a year for military-connected spouses from Camp Lejeune, MCAS New River, MCAS Cherry Point, and MCAS Beaufort, SC. 

Jobs and Careers

 If you are seeking employment at UNCW, please visit the Human Resources Jobs page.

For additional career support, please visit the Military Affairs Career Resources page. 


Gold seal showing the words Military Times Best for Vets 2019     Goal seal showing the words Military Times Best for Vets Colleges2020