Military Affairs

U.S. flag with the words Seahawks who served

Current Students

Please click on a topic in the sidebar to the right to learn more about support services for current or returning military-affiliated students.  

Office of Military Affairs/Military Affairs Wing

All military-affiliated students (active duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, military spouses and dependents) are welcome in the Military Affairs Wing in Veterans Hall 1029.

VA Benefits

Learn more about how to use VA benefits at UNCW. 

Tuition Assistance

Learn more about how to use military Tuition Assistance (TA) at UNCW.

Scholarships and Financial Aid

All students are encouraged to apply for scholarships.

Students who are using the North Carolina Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (NCDMVA) scholarship may contact our Third Party Billing office for assistance ( This scholarship is not available for summer classes. 

Students should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for fall/spring and an additional FAFSA for the summer term, if taking classes during the summer.

UNCW offers a military-affiliated student payment plan, which allows the bill to be divided into 3 payments over the course of the fall or spring semester. Select the payment plan as a payment option in your eBill.  

Health Insurance

Students on university campuses are required to have health insurance. 

Complete the Health Insurance enrollment/waiver process each semester. 

Students may opt to have more than one kind of health insurance. 

For access to Tricare proof of health coverage, visit milConnect

For proof of enrollment for insurance purposes, email the Registrar's Office ( to request a letter of enrollment verification. 

Priority Registration

Students who are veterans or who are currently serving in the military are eligible for priority registration for classes.

Proof of Enrollment or Enrollment Verification

If you need a letter verifying your enrollment at UNCW (for example, in order to update your military ID card or for insurance purposes), email to request an enrollment verification letter. 

Parking Services

Students must pay for parking permits to park on campus at UNCW. Learn more about parking permit options and pricing.

Veterans and active military members are eligible for a $20 discount on their parking permit

Apply for a parking permit

University Support Services

All university support services are included with the cost of tuition and fees (they are all free to UNCW students). 

University Learning Center 
Disability Resource Center 
Counseling Center 
Upperman African-American Cultural Center
Centro Hispano
Mohin-Sholz LGBTQIA Resource Office
Randall Library

Honors College

Current students may apply to become part of the UNCW Honors College

Jobs and Career Resources 

Explore resources for career exploration and job searches

Deployment and Military Absences

If you are called to active duty or to deploy while on active duty, you may follow the Office of the Registrar's process for requesting a leave of absence.

If you will be activated for a short time during the semester, such as for drill or training, but you plan to complete the semester, it is your responsibility to communicate with each of your instructors individually concerning how you plan to handle the workload. Be prepared to provide documentation. 

If you will be absent from a class due to a military deployment family day or homecoming event, work with your instructor to request an excused absence. Be prepared to provide documentation, such as a letter from the service member's supervisor or a family readiness liaison. 

County Veteran Services 

UNCW students may access the New Hanover County Veteran Services Office for additional resources.

Logo for Military Times Vest for Vets 2019 designation