Master of Coastal and Ocean Policy

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a particular undergraduate degree?

No. MCOP students have a variety of backgrounds and interests including a diverse range of undergraduate training including, natural, physical and social sciences well as the humanities. have training in the humanities.

What type of job can I get after I graduate?

MCOP graduates have gone on to explore a wide range of opportunities including accepting positions in the following areas:

  • Aquatic species research and monitoring supporting national sustainability policies
  • Alternative energy industries
  • Science communication consultancy
  • Leadership roles in implementing coastal and ocean policy for paramilitary agencies
  • Non-profit organizations promoting coastal stewardship
  • Coastal government planning
  • Doctoral programs

Is there a minimum GRE requirement?

No. The entire application package is considered when admissions decisions are made.    

Can I complete this program online?

At this time, the Master of Coastal and Ocean Policy program includes a mix of in-person, virtual, and fully online learning experiences. 

Can I complete this program part-time?

Yes. Some students complete the MCOP program on a part-time basis. Attending part time (1-2 classes a semester rather than 3) gives the you up to five years to complete the program.

Do students have jobs while in the program?

Some students hold down full time jobs while completing their Master in Coastal and Ocean Policy. Most courses are offered in the late afternoon and evening for this reason. Those working full time tend towards participating in the program part-time. Full time students often hold part-time jobs in the community.    

Is financial aid available?

Yes! All questions about financial aid should be directed to the UNCW Financial Aid office.

Are Graduate Teaching/Research Assistantships available?

Limited graduate teaching assistantships are available depending on available funding. These positions are awarded on a semester basis and based on faculty needs. Positions come with a modest stipend. 

Non-North Carolina resident students with at least a partial teaching assistantships become eligible for an non-resident tuition waiver. A non-resident tuition waiver covers the difference in cost between out-of-state tuition and in-state tuition. Non-resident tuition waivers are allotted based on College of Arts and Sciences funding availability.  

Do I need to find an advisor or lab prior to applying?

No. The Master of Coastal and Ocean Policy program is non-thesis based (there is no defense). Throughout the program there is opportunity for students to work with UNCW faculty on research projects of mutual interest.  However, students are not required to find a Master's advisor, join a lab, or write a thesis. 

How do I apply?

Great question! Apply through the UNCW graduate school.