Graduate students Jose Valle and Jenny Page

Graduate students José Valle and Jenny Page participate in Professor Mrak’s pedagogy course.


Bachelor's/Master's Combined Program in Spanish

Are you a current UNCW student that is considering pursuing a graduate degree in Spanish? The bachelor's/master's degree program in Spanish is designed to provide a student means to complete the requirements for both degrees in a period of five years. The key feature of the program is that a student can count up to 12 hours of graduate-level courses in order to fulfill requirements for the B.A. and use those same 12 credits toward the M.A. in Spanish.

How does it work?

Much like AP credits that count for high school and college, in the combined B.A. / M.A. program undergraduate students can take graduate courses during their fourth year that satisfy requirements for their undergraduate degree and can also be used toward the M.A. in Spanish. The result is that the typically two-year M.A. program is completed in just one year.

Who can apply?

This program is designed for students currently in the B.A. in Spanish program at UNCW who have:

       Completed a minimum of seventy-five (75) and a maximum of ninety-eight (98) credit hours in their undergraduate program leading toward a major in Spanish, including credits earned from advanced placement if they start at UNCW or are transfer students and have completed a minimum of two semesters as a full-time student at UNCW, a minimum of 24 hours.

       Completed a minimum of fifteen (15) hours of 300-400 level Spanish courses at the time of application. These 15 hours must include at least one course from each of the following pairs: SPN 307or SPN 308; SPN 311 or SPN 312; SPN 321 or SPN 322; and one of the following 400-level courses: SPN 411, SPN 412, SPN 421, SPN 422, SPN 485, SPN 495 or SPN 496.

       A minimum accumulated grade point average (GPA) of 3.2 and minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.2 on all 300-400 level Spanish courses at UNCW.

How would this program affect graduation and financial aid?

With the exception of the added rigor of graduate coursework, participation in the combined B.A. / M.A. does not alter a student's undergraduate experience. Students still complete their undergraduate degree at the same pace and graduate at the end of their planned semester. Taking graduate courses during the last two semesters of undergraduate coursework does not alter existing financial aid available to students.

Does participation in this program guarantee admission to the graduate program?

Departmental permission to apply to the bachelor's/master's degree program does not guarantee admission to the Graduate School. Admission to the Graduate School is contingent upon meeting eligibility requirements at the time of entering the graduate program. Acceptance will be provisional and contingent on meeting specified degree requirements; including completion of the bachelor's degree. That being said, an established record of success in graduate-level courses would clearly strengthen any application.

What financial aid is available to M.A. students (in year five of the combined program)?

Students in the M.A. program can apply for a teaching assistantship (current salary up to $10,500 a year) through which students gain extensive training and real-world experience in teaching a second language. We also offer merit-based scholarships as well as grants for research and travel to academic conferences.

What happens if students do not complete the program or decide to not pursue the M.A.?

A student who is ineligible to participate or continue in, or withdraws from the bachelor's/master's program cannot double count any courses for both bachelor's and master's degrees. Typically, a student that does not intend to pursue the M.A. in Spanish would simply apply any completed credits to their undergraduate degree.

How do I find out more?

Dr. Brian Chandler, the graduate coordinator, is always happy to meet with students to discuss whether the combined B.A. / M.A. program is right for them. Please contact Dr. Chandler at to schedule an appointment or ask any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you!

Information on How to Apply to the BA/MA Program PDF

Application Form (Submit to Graduate Coordinator) PDF

Faculty Recommendation Form (For Faculty Use Only) PDF


For more information contact:

Dr. Amanda Boomershine
Department of World Languages and Cultures
UNC Wilmington
Wilmington, NC 28403
Phone: (910) 962-7922

Or contact:

Kimberly Goerne Harris
Graduate School Admissions
UNCW, Wilmington, NC 28403-3297
Phone: 910-962-7449
Fax: 910-962-3787