F-1 Students J-1 Students

Getting Your F-1 Visa

Staying Legal (F)

Traveling (F)

Employment (F)

See International Students Employment Information

F-1 Status / I-20 updates



F-1 Visa I-20 Application

Transfer Your I-20 to UNCW

I-20 Reprint (if lost of damaged)

F-1 Student Extension of Program

Reduced Courseload

Forms & PDF's


Getting Your J-1 Visa

In order to participate in the UNCW J-1 Exchange Visitor program, you will need to review our Exchange & Study Abroad Admissions page.

Once you meet the qualifications for exchange or study abroad, you will receive the DS-2019 immigration document and follow the steps to Apply for the J-1 Visa.

Maintaining Legal Status (J)

Exchange Visitors can review document of J-1 Immigration Responsibilities (click here)

Traveling (J)

If you are a student/scholar in J-status or J-2 dependent, you must obtain a travel signature if you are traveling internationally during your active program.

To obtain a travel signature, you should visit the Office of International Programs before you leave the US and bring your DS-2019 form to be signed.

If you leave the United States with a visa document (DS-2019) that does not have the travel authorization (or has an expired travel signature-- more than 12 months old at the time of your reentry to the United States), the immigration officials have the discretion to readmit you for up to 30 days. You will be given the Form I-515A and an I-94 card that has a 30-day admission period. It is very important that you report to your Responsible Officer (Amy Lekeu - immediately. You will be given instructions about the I-515A from your Responsible Officer. 

Employment (J)

To learn about employment options for J-1 students, please visit the J-1 Employment (click here). J-1 students have specific regulations that they must follow in order to work in the United States.

J-1 Status / DS-2019 Updates



J-1 Visa DS-2019 Application Apply Here!
Transfer Your DS-2019 to UNCW (In Progress)
DS-2019 Reprint (if lost of damaged) Apply Here!
J-1 Student Extension of Program Apply Here!