Housing & Residence Life

Housing and Residence Life Frequently Asked Questions

When will I receive my housing assignment?

Students contracting for on-campus housing need to log in to their MySeaport account, read and agree to the terms outlined in the contract, and pay the $105 non-refundable housing contract fee. By clicking the box stating "I agree" and paying the $105 non-refundable housing contract fee, you are securing a bed space on campus for that academic year. 

Most first-year freshmen and transfer residents will receive their housing assigning prior to the first orientation, however assignments will be processed throughout the summer prior to the start of the fall semester. For the spring semester, assignments will be sent prior to the spring term move in date.

May I change my housing assignment?

After the second complete week of the fall semester, The Office of Housing and Residence Life will host an open room change period. Additional information will be emailed to residents before the process begins.  

Where do I find information about Move-In?

For information about this upcoming Fall Move-In 2020 - Info coming soon!

Are carts and hand trucks available for Move-In Day?

Yes, however, the volunteers will load your belongings into the carts and assist you with carrying them to your room.

Are my personal belongings insured?

As the university cannot be held accountable for loss, damage or theft to any student's personal property, all students are encouraged to carry their own insurance coverage. Your family's homeowner or tenant insurance may provide coverage, or you can arrange for personal property coverage at http://nssi.com.

What size sheets will fit my bed?

All beds in traditional residence hall rooms and Seahawk Crossing are 80" long. Standard twin bed size sheets will not fit properly. Extra long twin sheets can be found in most retail stores. The mattress size of beds in Seahawk Village and Seahawk Landing is XL Full (53" x 80" x 6"). Deep pocket sheets are suggested.

Can I have a refrigerator or microwave oven in my room?

Students are allowed to keep a personal refrigerator and/or microwave in their room, with the following restrictions:

  • Refrigerators cannot be larger than 4.9 cubic feet. 
  • Personal microwaves are permitted; however, they must be under 700 watts.

Housing & Residence Life has also partnered with Standards for Living to supply students with approved MicroFridge units. The MicroFridge is an energy efficient, Energy Star rated combination appliance that features a refrigerator/freezer and microwave oven with a patented electrical management system. To find out how to rent a MicroFridge, go to Standards For Living.

What do I do with my trash and recyclables?

There is a designated trash area / room in or near each residence area where students may properly dispose of trash and recyclable items.

For more information regarding recycling click here.

Who is responsible for cleaning my room?

Each student is responsible for cleaning his or her room. Vacuum cleaners are available in each residence hall. All bathroom facilities, except for those in Seahawk Village, Seahawk Crossing and Seahawk Landing, are cleaned by our housekeeping staff regularly.

What about my mail?

Each student will be assigned a post office box by the UNCW Post Office located in Fisher University Union. Please note that your physical address (building) and your mailing address will be different and you may locate that mailing address through MySeaport. All personal mail, magazines, packages, etc. should be sent to your mailing address. There is no direct mail delivery service to your residence hall/area.

What is the difference between my physical address and my mailing address?

Your physical address on campus is used when you need to provide a record of your residence in Wilmington; for example, if registering to vote in New Hanover County, you will need to provide your physical address. Click here or download this (pdf) to find your physical address.
Your mailing address is only used for directing mail to students on campus. This is the address you'll share with family and friends who want to send you mail, and that you'll use when making online purchases. Click here to find your mailing address.

What will happen to my mail during the summer break?

You should leave a forwarding address with UNCW's postal service anytime you leave UNCW for more than one month. Your mail will be sent to the specified address during the requested time. If you fail to leave a forwarding address, your mail may be marked as returned to sender.

Will I have a phone or phone service?

Housing and Residence Life is happy to supply students with basic local phone service as part of their housing.  To determine your phone number simply dial 21011 from your room or it is available on the housing assignment page in the housing application in MySeaport.

The Office of Housing & Residence Life does not provide students with a phone upon move-in, although you do not need an answering machine because each UNCW student is provided with personalized voice mail options.

How many data ports are in each room?

There is one data port for each occupant of the room.  For more information about where to begin to connect your technology click here.

How can I get around campus or around town without a car?

The Hawk Wheels Bike Share Program is available and it allows students the convenience of not having to figure out where to store their bike or to keep up with it.  For more information click here.

The Seahawk Shuttle provides prompt and comfortable service for those who need to get around campus. A student can bring and register a bike for transportation purposes, and he / she can also utilize a skateboard, which is a popular means of getting around campus.

WAVE, Wilmington's transit service, is available to carry students from campus to different locations around Wilmington, such as the mall, downtown, Mayfaire Town Center, etc. and is free of charge with a valid UNCW ID.

Hoverboards are NOT permitted in the residence halls.

How do I access MYSeaport?

You can get to MYSeaport here. Your user name is your UNCW e-mail without the domain @uncw.edu, and then type in your password.

Is there storage available during the summer?

Storage during the summer is not available on campus; however, there are many off-campus options available. Consider finding a couple of friends to share a storage unit with during the summer.