Students and Honors faculty sit in a circle, engaged in discussion.


Teaching Honors Courses at UNCW: Faculty Opportunities

The UNCW Honors College is an academic enrichment program for students who graduated at the top of their high school classes with notable records for scholarly and community engagement. They are bright, motivated, hard-working, and not afraid to ask good questions and discuss issues. They want to be active participants in their own education. They are the kind of students you would like to have for that dream course or for innovative teaching techniques that you may have been wanting to try out for a while.

If you would like to teach a course for such students, please consider submitting a proposal for any of the options below. Some of them constitute great opportunities for co-teaching experiences. All sections and seminars are limited to 20 students.

  • Honors University Studies (3 credits; 4 if with lab)
  • HON 120: Honors Enrichment Seminar (1 credit)
  • HON 210: Honors Interdisciplinary Seminar (3 credits)
  • HON 110: Honors First-Year Seminar (3 credits)
  • HON 399: A Thesis Preparation Course (1 credit)
  • Honors level sections of existing upper-level courses 
  1. HONORS UNIVERSITY STUDIES CLASS: This course is an Honors section of a University Studies course in the faculty member’s discipline. The section will cover the typical content of the university studies class, but will offer unique learning experiences, such as seminar format, extensive use of primary sources, more intensive laboratory work, or hands-on experience. With no more than 20 students per section, this class provides the opportunity to experiment with creative, interactive teaching approaches that might not work in other classes, and it represents a chance to recruit some excellent majors for the faculty member’s department. If a faculty member would like to propose an honors university studies section, he or she may be eligible for a CTE Curriculum Development Stipend if this will involve substantial revision to the format of the traditional basic studies format. An honors section of a university studies class meets university studies requirements and is typically taught as part of the faculty member’s standard teaching load.


  • HON 110 First Year Seminar (3 credits): This is the honors version of UNI 101 and is taught only in the Fall semester to honors freshmen. HON 110 is an interdisciplinary seminar that introduces students to the college experience and has a unique theme that informs class discussion and critical thinking assignments.
  • HON 210/211/212 Interdisciplinary Seminar (3 credits): These seminars constitute an in-depth investigation of a special topic through a variety of disciplines. They are a great opportunity to team-teach and develop interdisciplinary approaches to new ideas emerging in the faculty members’ field. These seminars maybe proposed for either Fall or Spring semesters and may be built around short-term domestic or foreign travel opportunities. HON 211 and 212 meet University Studies requirements for Living in Our Diverse Nation and Living in a Global Society, respectively.
  • HON 120/121 Enrichment Seminars (1 credit): These one-credit explorations typically meet once a week and introduce students to special topics of interest in the faculty member’s field. These seminars encourage learning beyond the classroom through a more “hands-on,” direct experience approach (field work, travel, or individual
projects). These seminars maybe proposed for either Fall or Spring semesters and may be built around short-term domestic or foreign travel opportunities. HON 121 meets University Studies requirements for Exploration Beyond the Classroom.
  • HON 399 A Thesis Preparation Course (1 credit): This course is designed as a workshop to help students prepare for their thesis experience in their senior year and develop a full-fledged proposal of their research projects. Targeted primarily for juniors, the goals of the class are to teach students how to find a good topic of inquiry, how to define a research question, how to find an advisor, and what resources exist on campus to help them execute their projects. Overall, the idea is to “demystify” the thesis process, reassure students of its manageable scope, and help them understand the value of undergraduate research. This course is taught both in Fall and Spring semesters. Ideally, sections of HON 399 will be broken down by disciplines: social sciences, sciences, humanities, business, health and human services, and interdisciplinary. 
  1. On occasion, we have offered honors level sections of existing upper level courses. This class retains the departmental prefix but is designated as an honors section. Again, this means that the teaching style is likely to be different from that used in the traditional section. All honors scholars enrolled in the class would be eligible for honors level credit for the class and this would be designated as such on the transcript.

How to Propose a Class

If you are interested in teaching any of these options, seek your department chair’s approval to include such a course in the course schedule. Then, fill out the UNCW Honors College Course Proposal form below (via DocuSign). Please note that we need course proposal forms with chair approval even if you are currently teaching in Honors. Contact Associate Director, Dr. Eva Mehl, with questions. 

We hope to have a first draft of the schedule for Fall by early January and Spring in by August.

For more information on the UNCW Honors College teaching philosophy and curriculum, as well as teaching and non-teaching opportunities for faculty participation in Honors, please check the Honors College Faculty Handbook below.

Honors Course Proposal Form

Honors College Faculty Handbook