The Graduate School


The following documentation does not guarantee a residency change, but may strengthen your case for in-state residency.

  • Documents of residence for the past 12 months (i.e., lease/notarized statement from landlord).
  • Copy of Federal and State tax returns for the previous year. Include copy of parent's tax return if you are under the age of 24.
  • Year-to-date cumulative wage earnings statements from all jobs held for the current year and/or for the past 12 months.
  • Evidence you are a registered voter in North Carolina.
  • Evidence of motor vehicle ownership - registration card in North Carolina.
  • Copy of North Carolina Driver's License.
  • Evidence of employment and/or means of financial support (i.e., student loans, scholarships, etc).
  • Evidence of membership in community professional associations, unions, churches, or other organizations.
  • Evidence that you filed personal property or real property returns.
  • If you are an alien, you must provide a copy of your residence status document issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.