Office of the General Counsel

When To Consult the OGC

As in-house counsel, we are the most effective when providing early, preventative and prospective advice on matters by identifying, managing and avoiding risk and legal situations rather than waiting until a controversy or problem has been encountered.

The OGC should always be contacted in the following circumstances:

  1. When the university has received a subpoena, a notice or threat of a lawsuit, claim, proceeding, investigation or contract dispute.
  2. When you receive a notice or complaint from an administrative agency such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Office for Civil Rights (OCR), the Department of Labor (DOL), the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Office of Inspector General (OIG), Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), and the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH).
  3. When an outside party has demanded payment for a wrong alleged to have been committed by the university or by an agent of the university.
  4. When the university receives a substantial or complex public records request.
  5. Anytime you are asked to sign a contract (e.g. agreement, memorandum of understanding, license) other than an OGC approved template form for which you have express written delegated signatory authority.
  6. Anytime you are contemplating an involuntary separation of an EHRA or SHRA employee.
  7. When a faculty member has filed a grievance or requested a hearing.
  8. When the Committee on Problem Admissions and Extraordinary Disciplinary Emergencies is formed to hear a student matter.
  9. When an individual has suffered a serious injury or death occurring on property owned, leased or managed by UNCW.
  10. When a university employee in the course and scope of work has suffered a serious injury or death.
  11. When serious injury or death has occurred to an enrolled student while participating in a university sponsored activity, program or field trip.
  12. When significant property damage has occurred to property owned, leased or managed by UNCW.
  13. Prior to acquiring or disposing of real property.
  14. When outside counsel contacts you about a matter relating to the university.
  15. When a government inspector or investigator shows up in your office.
  16. Whenever you need legal advice pertaining to your official responsibilities at UNCW.


Wondering whom to contact?

Each attorney has specific subject areas in which s/he regularly practices. This chart lists the office's practice areas, divides those practice areas into sub-categories, and indicates the attorneys in the OGC who are best suited to provide legal advice in each sub-category. At least one primary attorney is designated in each sub-category.  

OGC Practice Chart