Fixed Assets

image 730x300

Surplus Property

UNCW Surplus facilitates the removal and resale of equipment no longer of use to University departments. Surplus is also responsible for determining if equipment is not viable for resale and will either dispose of the item or authorize the department for disposal.

Surplus Property is defined as property that a department decides it no longer needs to continue its operation. Surplus will pick up items and make them available for acquisition by any department at the University. Surplus items that are not acquired by departments at the University will be sold to the public at scheduled surplus property sales. Surplus property sales are held once per month. Dates for sales may be found on the UNCW Surplus webpage.

Disposal Process

Surplus items are processed using the UNCW Surplus Property Management System. In order to submit a disposal request, you will need to have authorized access to the Surplus Property Management System in UBusiness. If you are uncertain of your access or need access to perform this function for your deparment, contact Surplus.

Disposal Process for Assets Purchased with Grant Funding

Assets purchased with funding through a Grant must gain prior approval before an asset may be sent for disposal. The department must complete a Movable Equipment Form, and forward this form to the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Compliance for approval. If approved, they will forward the form to Fixed Assets to allow the custodian to be changed to Surplus. Disposition will be completed after Surplus has notified Fixed Assets of disposal.

UNCW has conditional title on federally procured equipment until such time as the sponsoring Federal Agency transfers title to the University.