Financial Aid

Students painted with

Federal Work Study Information

The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA) and the Career Center offer employment services to students in Federal Work Study and Work Assist positions.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

  • FWS provides part-time employment for undergraduate and graduate students who have established financial need through the submission of the FAFSA.
  • Earnings are not applied to your account. You receive a paycheck on the 15th of each month for the hours worked the previous month.
  • You may not earn more than your awarded amount for work-study.
  • Positions are available on and off campus. Off-campus positions are within non-profit organizations in the local community. While the pay rate is considerably more for community service positions, you must have your own transportation to the job site.
  • If you are eligible, and funds are available, FWS will be included in your financial aid award.
  • If you do not have a FWS award in your financial aid package, please contact your financial aid counselor. If eligibile, you will be added to the Wait List. There is no guarantee, but if funds become available later, a FWS award could be added. You will be notified by the Work Study office, if this occurs. 
  • Explore available student employment opportunities at Handshake. Handshake will also have opportunities for work assist (non-need based) positions available on campus and is managed by the Career Center. 

    For guidance on how to access the Handshake portal, please view the Handshake Step-by-Step Guide.

  • Information for students who have already been awarded Federal Work Study is available in the Federal Work Study Handbook. 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)