Seahawk Safety


In an emergency, dial 911

Emergency Information Channels:

There are multiple communication tools that the university may deploy during an emergency. Pay attention to the university homepage, emails, text messages, phone calls and other communications from the university. Each of the university's communication tools will be deployed as warranted by each unique situation. Information resources include:

  • Sirens: Five outdoor warning sirens (mechanical tone only).
  • The UNCW homepage: This is the official source, along with the university’s social media feeds, of emergencyinformation and statements/responses from the university. Other units on campus may share information posted on the homepage and via these feeds. Please be sure you are relying on only official university messaging during emergency situations, and don’t assume something is accurate because you read about it on social media.
  • Emails to campus inboxes.
  • Phone calls and/or text messages sent via UNCWAlert. Information about the university’s emergencyalerts distribution list can be found here; students are automatically included on this distribution list, but faculty and staff must opt in.
  • UNCW Facebook: Please note this feed is often the fastest way for students, employees and parents to receive updates, along with campus emails to students and employees. This is because it’s sometimes the fastest communication channel for university officials to update, especially in the event of widespread we
  • UNCWAlert is a special website devoted to emergency updates during long-term emergencies. Users who visit during an emergency will likely be directed to the UNCWAlert site for all the latest information.
  • The UNCW Alert hotline: 910.962.3991 or toll-free at 888.657.5751. The hotline is activated in certain situations,reflects information already available via the online resources listed here, and is meant to serve those who don’t have easy web access.

When the Siren Sounds

  • Seek shelter indoors. Close windows and doors.
  • Seek information from official UNCW sources of communication. Information will be posted and disseminated as soon as possible.
  • Wait for an "all clear" siren or message.
  • More information is available at

For Interpersonal Safety Support

  • In an emergency, dial 911.
  • For support in situations involving relationship violence, call 910.962.CARE (2273) or 910.512.4821 and refer to the CARE Office website 
  • For support in situations involving harassment, refer to the Title IX Office website.