Frequently Asked Questions

1. How many students will be admitted?

There is no minimum or maximum number of students that will be admitted. Admissions will occur on a rolling basis.

2. Who is the program designed for?

The program is designed for individuals who want to become college administrators or individuals who already serve in this capacity in one of the functional areas in student affairs, such as academic advising, admissions, career services, financial aid, judicial affairs, alumni relations, athletics, multicultural affairs, residence life, and campus activities.

3. What if I have an undergraduate major that seems unrelated to higher education?

In your statement of interest describe what prompted your interest in higher education.

4. Can I enroll in the program part-time or full-time?

Yes, we designed the program so that you can enroll part-time or full-time depending on your preference.

5. When are classes offered and what is the method of delivery?

Classes are primarily offered in the evening. Most classes combine face to face and online instruction.

6. Is there a minimum GRE or MAT score that we look for?

There is no minimum GRE or MAT score. The admissions requirements (e.g., GRE scores, GPA, letters of recommendation) are considered collectively.

7. Do credits from the Master's program in Higher Education count toward the E.D. concentration in Higher Education Leadership?

The courses from the Master's program in Higher Education do not count toward the Ed.D. concentration in Higher Education Leadership. The Ed.D. program is a 60 credit hour program, which requires 600 level courses.

8. Is the M.Ed. in Higher Education required for admittance to the Ed.D. concentration in Higher Education Leadership?

The M.Ed. in Higher Education is not required for admittance to the Ed.D. concentration in Higher Education Leadership.

9. Can I take Higher Education classes without being enrolled in the M.Ed. program?

Yes, you can apply to the program as a non-degree seeking student. Six credit hours will transfer to the M. Ed. specialization in Higher Education.

10. How do I apply to the M.Ed. program as a non-degree seeking student?

Go to the Application and select "Education Not for Licensure (Main Campus or Extension Campus)."You need to submit an Education Statement of Interest (an essay) and one official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended.

11. Can the practica occur in my current position?

The practica is designed for you to apply the knowledge and skills from your coursework to a different area of Higher Education. If you are a full-time employee we encourage you to seek a practica site that has early, evening, or weekend hours.

12. What are you looking for in an interest statement?

We are looking for an engaging essay. It should tell a story about your interest and/or experience in higher education.

13.Will the courses involve group work?

An instructor may assign group work. However professors are aware that many graduate students have work and other responsibilities.

14. Are there prerequisites for any classes?

There are no prerequisites for the classes.

15. Will the M.Ed. Higher Education classes prepare me for the concentration in Higher Education Leadership in the Ed.D. program?

Yes, the courses in the Master's program provide an overview of the higher education profession.

16. Should I take the GRE or the MAT?

If you are interested in applying to the Ed.D. program after earning the M.Ed. in Higher Education we recommend taking the GRE, which is required for the Ed.D. application.

17. Is the M.Ed. specialization in Higher Education program accredited?

UNCW is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). While there is no accrediting body for higher education programs we follow the Council for the Advancement and Standards in Higher Education (CAS Standards) closely.

18. How much does tuition cost?

Tuition and fees are established by UNCW at the end of each academic year for the following year. Please see for the most current information.