Welcome to the UNCW Residency Licensure Program

Earn your North Carolina teaching license online at UNCW’s Watson College of Education. Our new Residency Licensure pathway supports teachers with a North Carolina permit to teach in the following areas:

  • Elementary Education (K-6)
  • Middle Grades (6-9)
  • Secondary Education (9-12) – English, math, social studies or science
  • Special Education (K-12) - General Curriculum

UNCW’s 19 credit-hour Residency Licensure program can be completed in just over one year. Courses are taught by dedicated faculty with extensive teaching experience in each subject area, and the program is designed to accommodate working professionals while providing preparation for effective teaching and learning in the classroom.

Program Features

Introductory Seminar Course

A one day on-campus seminar and two online modules designed to set candidates up for success before coursework begins. You will meet faculty and other Residency Licensure teachers, build distance education skills and develop a portfolio of resources. Offered as a one credit-hour course in November 2019.

Online Accelerated Program

UNCW’s 7-week online course structure enables you to build knowledge and skills at a manageable pace. Online courses begin in January 2020 and are completed in March 2021. The six online courses are offered consecutively.

Cohort Model

Provides a collaborative learning environment as you work to meet requirements for NC licensure.

Strong Network of Support

A field supervisor will serve as a personal coach, providing classroom support throughout the program. University faculty, a mentor teacher and a professional learning community provide an extended network of support.

Affordable Cost

In-state distance education fees apply to this program. Tuition and fees are approximately $4,200.

Learn More!

For additional information, contact WCE program coordinator Dr. Carol McNulty at mcnultycp@uncw.edu or 910.962.3653.