Enterprise Risk Management

Motor Vehicle Insurance

University and state-owned vehicles are provided coverage through the State of North Carolina Motor Vehicle Insurance program.  Coverage is provided by Travelers Insurance Company.

All state-owned (self-propelled) vehicles are required to be insured, at minimum, for motor vehicle liability as part of any motorist's financial responsibility in society and our State.  University departments and colleges have the option to also insure their vehicles for full physical damage coverage (commonly known as the combination of collision and comprehensive coverage).  For passenger vans, Medical Payments coverage is also available.  There is a premium charge for physical damage coverage.  Please contact us if you have any questions regarding vehicle coverage.  

Key important reminders:

  • Report vehicle accidents as soon as possible to your supervisor and by noon of the next business day following the accident.  Report facts, do not offer opinions, and avoid assigning blame as until any claim investigation is completed.
  • Only persons on the University payroll can drive state-owned vehicles and leased vehicles when in the name of the University.  There are important insurance coverage reasons for this.

If you have purchased a new vehicle or received one from another department, please fill out the new vehicle insurance request.  The request can also be found under our Forms page.