The Math Lab provides drop-in tutoring during open Lab hours for all UNCW students in Math and Statistics courses.
Math Tutors will:
- Work with you to help you grasp the concepts
- Take the time to explore your concerns about the assignment
- Help you with test preparation, study skills, and math anxiety
- Review and explain concepts and theories
Math Tutors will NOT:
- Correct your assignment
- Complete the assignment for you
- Help with take home exams or quizzes
- Teach you new material, teaching is done by the talented math faculty
Best Approach to Using the Math Lab
- Work out problems before asking for help. If the tutors can see your work, they will be better able to help you find mistakes.
- Be prepared. Attend all classes, read assigned materials and complete or attempt homework.
- Actively Participate. You should be doing most of the talking. Ask questions - the goal is for you to be able to solve the problems when the tutor is not there.
- Bring important materials - textbooks, class notes, pencils, calculator, syllabus
- To get the attention of the tutors, raise your hand.
- Don't wait until the last minute before a test to get help! The math lab is open six days a week, with evening hours!
- There are computers. The tutors in the lab are only part of the resources available. You may go in there just to do the homework. (It doesn't hurt that someone would be available to help).
- Meet in groups. Have friends from your class or other sections of the same class meet you in the lab to work together.
- If you go to the lab once and you aren't too impressed, try it again. Some tutors will click with you and your learning style - some won't. The tutors' schedules are posted on the ULC's website.