Sign up for Uni 101
For more information
Contact Rebecca Stultz, First-Year Seminar Coordinator, at (910) 962-7970 or email email@example.com.
The curriculum of First-Year Seminar involves topics that will help students make a successful academic, social, and personal transition to UNCW. The information and skills students gain will help them beyond their first-year into their major and career. FYS students participate in class discussions, engaging assignments, group work, out-of-class activities, guess presentations, and exciting projects.
Even though there are a variety of formats within FYS, all sections include the following goals and topics at their core.
FYS Learning Goals
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of and participate in the powerful learning experience of higher education at UNCW.
- Students will demonstrate self-knowledge and appreciate the value of human differences.
- Students will understand and illustrate information literacy.
- Students will demonstrate and understand health and wellness dimensions.
- Students will identify and apply information to prepare the foundation for life-long learning.
Select Topics Covered in FYS
- Expectations in College vs. High School
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Strategic Learning
- Time Management
- UNCW Resources and Support Services
- Health and Wellness
- Stress Management
- Motivation and Goal Setting
- Academic Advising Information
- Choosing a Major and Career
- Diversity and the College Experience
- Leadership and Citizenship
Common Course Components
The goals and student learning outcomes of First-Year Seminar encourage consistency across sections, while allowing faculty flexibility in designing and implementing the curriculum. Each section will include the following common components:
- Common Syllabus
- Common Textbook: Focus on Success
- Incorporation of the UNCW Common Reading Selection
- Common Instructor Resources
- Information Literacy Instructional Session with a UNCW Librarian
- Academic Advisor, common to all 25 students in each course section
- Peer Mentor
- Strategic Learning Session with the University Learning Center
- Major and Career Exploration Session with Career Services
- Participation in Events Beyond the Classroom
- Final Group Project and Oral Presentation