UNCW Catalogue


Departmental Websites

contact your advisor

University College is located in DePaolo Hall, room 1092. Call us at (910) 962-3245 or email

Schedule an apointment online!


Declaring a Minor

A minor is an approved course of study designed to provide students with an overview of the essential knowledge and methods of a subject and with a sample of its depth. A minor will range from 18 - 24 credit hours.

A list of available minors can be found online.

There are many reasons you could declare a minor:

  • Adding depth to your studies. You can choose a minor related to your major. This can complement your major in a similar discipline.
  • Adding breadth to your studies. You can choose a minor that is in combination with your major, which will give you a deeper insight into an area you would like to explore in the future - whether it be your career or a professional school.
  • Building a passion or a talent. You can choose a minor which may or may not be related to your major, but you have a personal interest in the subject matter.

When Should I Declare a Minor?

If you choose to declare a minor, you must do so before you graduate from UNCW. You will need to work with the minor department to ask specific questions about course requirements.

Note: You are not required to declare a minor for graduation at UNCW.

Declare Your Minor Online

  1. Consult with your advisor.
  2. Log onto MySeaport and click on the Academics Tab at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Major Declaration/Curricular Updates" link.
  4. Read and follow instructions to declare a minor.

UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by:  Z. Underwood [ underwoodz AT uncw DOT edu ]