contact your advisor
University College is located in DePaolo Hall, room 1092. Call us at (910) 962-3245 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Declaring a Major
Effective Spring 2012, UNCW has adopted a policy to suspend curriculum changes, such as declarations of major, during key advising points in the semester.
- Spring: Students will not be allowed to declare a major between March 1 through the 10th day of pre-registration in April
- Fall: Students will not be allowed to declare a major between October 1 through the 10th day of pre-registration in November
When Should I Declare a Major?
The minimum requirement to declare most majors at UNCW is to have earned and passed 24 semester hours with at least a 2.0 GPA. Some majors have additional admissions requirements, such as prerequisite courses and departmental applications. Consult your catalogue and your academic advisor. In general, most students declare a major at the end of their freshman year or at the beginning of their sophomore year.
Declare Your Major Online
- Consult with your advisor.
- Log onto MySeaport and click on the Academics Tab at the top of the screen.
- Select the “Major Declaration/Curricular Updates” link, located under the Student Services menu on the left-side of the screen.
- Read and follow instructions.
- Click on "Understanding Majors and Degrees" if you have questions.
- Click “Declare Major” button.
- Make selections in the drop down menus.
- Click add minor/cluster if known.* Make selection from drop-down menu. If undecided click “add-cluster-undecided” button.
- Click “submit changes” button.
*For students entering under catalogue years 2012-13 and beyond, a minor or thematic transdisciplinary cluster (TTC) is a graduation requirement. Certain majors will fulfill a TTC through major required courses or certain majors exempt students from a TTC. Please see link for details: http://www.uncw.edu/uc/advising/unistudies.html
Note: You will be informed via your UNCW email regarding the progress of your major declaration.
The 45-Hour Rule
Undergraduate students must declare and be accepted into a major field of study before or during the semester that they complete 45 hours of credit. Students will not be allowed to pre-register or register for the following semester until a major or a pre-major has been declared. Additional advising may be required prior to registration for continuing students who have completed 30 hours or more and have not declared a major or a pre-major.
Transfer students are required to select a major or a pre-major at the time of admission to UNCW. Advising for these students is done within the chosen major field.
Schools, departments, and programs with admission requirements have a pre-major and that academic unit provides discipline-specific advice. Students accepted into pre-major status should have a high probability of completing the admission requirements in the major within two semesters of acceptance.