Procedures for Non-Employees
Before a non-employee can travel on Official Business for the University a paper travel authorization form must be completed and approved for each trip. The travel authorization should include the following information: date, destination, purpose, funds, and all expenses that the trip will cost. Travel authorizations must be processed for all travelers, even if not requesting a travel pre-payment or reimbursement.
All travel authorizations require the approval of the following people:
- Department Head or Chairperson
- Budget Authority for all funds being charged
- Grant Officer if a grant fund is being charged
- Chancellor/Vice Chancellor for all travel outside the US, including travel to Alaska and Hawaii
*If the non-employee is from outside the United States a Foreign National Form needs to be completed and submitted to the Tax Complaince Office before the travel begins.
Prepaid expenses are only available to prospective employees coming to interview for a job. The following may be paid directly to the vendor in advance of the trip.
- Agency Airfare
- Complete a paper travel authorization
- Contact travel agency and select the flight desired
- Write the flight information on the paper travel authorization including the service fee with the price of the ticket.
- Have the paper travel authorization form approved by all parties including the traveler.
- Traveler's approval can be obtained by:
- Faxing travel authorization to him/her to sign and fax back
- Scanning travel authorization and sending to traveler's email address to sign and send back.
- Hand deliver signed paper travel authorization and a copy of the itinerary to the travel office. Please do not drop in office mail box.
- Travel Office will notify the travel agency to purchase the ticket
- The department can choose to have a direct bill for loding when bringing in a prospective candidate for a job interview.
- Inorder to process the lodging the department will need to complete a requisition in U-Shop.
* Please note if personal time is included with the travel you will need to get a quote from the travel agency showing the cost for the business dates only. This will need to be submitted to the Travel Office. If the ticket including the personal time is more than the business time the non-employee will have to pay the University the difference.
For additional details about agency airfare please visit our webpage designated for this topic.
Once the trip is over it is time to create the travel reimbursement. All expenses that the non-employee paid out of pocket (allowable travel expenses) should be included on the paper travel reimbursement form.
- Obtain a travel reimbursement form from the travel website
- Collect all original receipts from the non-employee for reimbursement.
- Cofirm the dates and times of the trip
- Attach all original receipts to the reimbursement check request. Make sure to tape small receipts onto an 8 1/ 2 X 11 white sheet of paper.
- Foreign Currency receipts should be labeled as to what the expense is for and the date it was incurred, and should be submitted with the foreign currency converter sheet.
- Send the Travel Reimbursement Request form for approval by the traveler and budget authority. If the funding is from a grant, then approval of the grant officer is also required.
- Forward the reimbursement form, along with all supporting documentation to the Travel Office.
- After processing, the traveler will receive a check in the mail or a direct deposit if they are set up for direct deposit.
Expenses paid by someone else
If someone besides the non-employee paid for the expenses then the traveler can not get reimbursed for those expenses. These expenses will need to be reimbursed to the person who paid for the expenses, after the trip takes place. To do this you will need to enter these expenses on the paper travel authorization form with a note stating that someone else is to be reimbursed. Then you will need to use the regular check request form made payable to the person that paid for the expense. Once this has been approved by the budget authority, forward the paper check request with the original receipts, the paper travel reimbursement form for the non-employee and the paper travel authorization form to the Travel Office.
Travel Reimbursement Deadline
Please keep in mind that the state requires all travel reimbursements to be submitted/received in the Travel Office within 30 calendar days of the return.