Procedures for Independent Contractor
Before an Independent Contractor can come to campus for Official Business for the University the PUR 1.40 must be completed and approved.
All PUR 1.40 forms require the approval of the following people:
- Independent Contractor
- Department Head or Chairperson
- Budget Authority for all funds being charged
- Grant Officer if a grant fund is being charged
- Tax Compliance Office
- Human Resources
*If the independent contractor is from outside the United States a Foreign National Form needs to be completed and submitted to the Tax Complaince Office before the travel begins.
Prepaid expenses are only available if you have chosen Option Three A or B. The following may be paid directly to the vendor in advance of the trip. Please note if this option is chosen you can not also choose C which is a travel reimbursement to the independent contractor.
- Agency Airfare
- Complete a paper travel authorization
- Contact travel agency and select the flight desired
- Write the flight information on the paper travel authorization including the service fee with the price of the ticket.
- Have the paper travel authorization form approved by all parties including the traveler.
- Traveler's approval can be obtained by:
- Faxing travel authorization to him/her to sign and fax back
- Scanning travel authorization and sending to traveler's email address to sign and send back.
- Hand deliver signed paper travel authorization and a copy of the airfare itinerary to the Travel Office. Please do not drop in Travel Office mail box.
- Travel Office will notify the travel agency to purchase the ticket
- For information regarding Travel Agencies that may be used for Prepaid Airfare please go to our webpage designated for this topic. Agency Airfare
- The department can choose to have a direct bill for lodging when bringing in an Independent Contractor.
- In order to process the lodging for direct bill the department will need to complete a requisition in u-Shop.
* Please note if personal time is included with the travel you will need to get a quote from the travel agency showing the cost for the business dates only, round trip from traveler's duty station/home to Wilmington. This will need to be submitted to the Travel Office with the Travel Authorization and airfare itinerary. If the ticket including the personal time is more than the business time the employee will have to submit a check to the University for the difference.
A travel reimbursement for the Independent Contractor can be submitted only if you have selected Option Two or Option Three Part C. If you have prepaid any expenses, we can not process a reimbursement for travel expenses. Once the trip is over it is time to create the travel reimbursement. All expenses that the independent contractor paid out of pocket (allowable travel expenses) should be included on the paper travel reimbursement form for independent contractors.
- Obtain a Travel Reimbursement form for Independent Contractors from the Travel website
- Collect all original receipts from the Independent Contractor for reimbursement.
- Cofirm the dates and times of the trip
- Attach all original receipts to the reimbursement check request. Make sure to tape small receipts onto an 8 1/ 2 X 11 white sheet of paper.
- Foreign Currency receipts should be labeled as to what the expense is for and the date it was incurred, and should be submitted with the foreign currency converter sheet.
- Send the Travel Reimbursement Request form for approval by budget authority. If the funding is from a grant, then approval of the grant officer is also required.
- Attach a copy of approved PUR 1.40.
- Forward the reimbursement form, along with all supporting documentation to the Travel Office.
- After processing, the traveler will receive a check in the mail or a direct deposit if they are set up for direct deposit.
Travel Reimbursement Deadline
Please keep in mind that the state requires all travel reimbursements to be submitted/received in the Travel Office within 30 calendar days of the return.