Seahawk with Hoggard Hall in the background

Travel for Independent Contractor

Independent Contractors should complete the PUR 1.40 before they are brought to campus. Please reference the Independent Contractor information on the University's Tax Compliance Website.

Who is an Independent Contractor?

  • An individual invited to campus to participate in an event such as a seminar, panel discussion, or speaking engagement and will not receive payment or honorarium.
  • Services provided by a professional individual on a temporary or occasional basis, including but not limited to those provided by a speaker, visiting professor, doctor, dentist, scientist, or performer of the fine arts and similar professionals.
  • Consultant Services provided by state employees or indpendent contractors possessing specialized knowledge, experience, expertise and professional qualifications to investigate assigned problems or projects and to provide counsel, review and analysis or advice in formulating or implementing improvements in programs or services. This includes but is not limtied to the organization, planning, directing, control, evaluation and operation of a program, agency or department.

How to process travel for a Independent Contractor

There are three payment options that can be choosen to cover the travel expense of an Independent Contractor. Option One is the preferred method for payment.

Option One

All Inclusive Payment

(Preferred Method)

Option Two

Service Fee With Travel Reimbursement

Option Three

UNCW will book and directly pay lodging, book and prepay airfare or reimburse travel expenses

Payment includes fee for services and an allowance for travel expenses associated with the visit to campus.

This service type is processed in uShop with the PUR 1.40 application attached to the requisition.

Upon completion of service, the uShop receipt is processed and the invoice submitted. Payment is issued to the Independent Contractor on the next available Accounts Payable check run.

The service fee is processed through uShop with the PUR 1.40 application. Upon completion of service in uShop the receipt is processed and invoice is submitted.

For reimbursement of travel expenses, the department completes the Independent Contractor Travel Expense Reimbursement form with originial receipts and a copy of the PUR 1.40 application attached and submits to the Travel Office. Payments will be issued to the Independent Contractor on the next available Accounts Payable check run.

A) Book and Directly pay lodging - UNCW Department will book and directly pay lodging. Complete Paper Travel Authoirzation form and lodging section Paper Travel Authorization form. Attach thePUR 1.40 attached to the requisition.

B) Book and Prepay Airfare- UNCW department will book and prepay airfare via current approved travel agencies. See instructions for for completing a paper Travel Authorization form and prepaid airfare on the non-Employee webpage.


C) Reimburse Travel Expenses Only - UNCW will reimburse all travel expenses (including but not limited to airfare, mileage, rental car, lodging, meals, etc).

Once service is completed, the department completes the Independent Contractor Travel Expense Form

Reimbursement forms can be accessed and filled out from the travel webpage under Forms.

For additional information on how to process travel please see the individual expenses under the type of travel.

Friendly Reminders

  • Original reimbursement and backup documents are required with the travel package.
  • If originals are not available, please attach a memo that explains why originals were not included with the travel reimbursement.
  • All small receipts should be taped down to an 8 ½ by 11 sheet of white paper.
  • Send travel reimbursement to Travel Office to be processed.
  • Travelers are allowed one day of travel before the beginning of a conference and one day of travel after the conclusion of a conference.
  • All travel reimbursements should be completed within 15 days of return, however it must be submitted to the travel office within 30 calendar days from the return date.