- Congratulations to Dr. Kristin Bolton and Dr. Jessica Strong for being selected to attend the Inaugural UNCW Grant Writing Boot Camp!
- We are pleased to welcome Dr. Peter V. Nguyen to the School of Social Work in the role of MSW Coordinator! Read more about Dr. Nguyen here.
- Congratulations to Dr. Noell Rowan, who was selected by the Association of Gerontology Education in Social Work (AGESW) to receive the Mit Joyner BPD and AGE-SW Gerontology Leadership Award!
- Congratulations to Dr. Kristin Bolton, who has been selected for the Emerging Baccalaureate Social Work Educator-Scholars Initiative!
- Kudos: Dr. Stacey Kolomer will transition into the role of Interim Director of the School of Social Work starting July 2015. We look forward to thriving under your leadership, Dr. Kolomer!
- Kudos: Director Lori Messinger will transition into the role of Associate Vice Chancellor for External Programs in the Provost's Office at UNCW as starting July 2015. Congratulations on your new role, Dr. Messinger!
- Substance Use Disorders and Addictions Certificate Program was just approved as a four-course sequence beginning Fall 2015! For more information, see this flier.
Save the Date: School of Social Work to host SFBTA Conference November 2015.
BSW Orientation 2015:
- Tuesday, August 18, McNeill Hall 1051, 1:00 p.m.
BSW Application Deadlines 2015:
- 02/16/2015 (early)
- 05/11/2015 (traditional)
- 08/25/2015 (late)
MSW Orientation 2015:
- Tuesday, August 18, McNeill Hall 1051, 9:00 a.m.
- Welcome picnic to follow at Hugh McRae Park!
MSW Application Deadlines 2016:
- 02/01/2016 (full-time)
- 04/15/2016 (part-time)
MSW Information Sessions:
- Tuesday, September 29, 2015, McNeill Hall room 1038
- Monday, October 19, 2015, WebEx
- Tuesday, November 17, 2015, McNeill Hall room 1038
- Monday, December 7, 2015, WebEx
- Tuesday, January 12, 2016, WebEx
- Monday, March 21, 2016,
McNeill Hall room TBA
All MSW information sessions will take place from 5:15-6:15 p.m.
- Graduation 2015 Slideshow
- Social Work Advisory Board
- Program Assessment
- UNCW Office of Professional Education
- Check out our faculty recruitment video: The time is right for UNCW and the School of Social Work!
Greetings and welcome to the UNC Wilmington School of Social Work
The School of Social Work prepares students to make a difference in the world through:
- direct practice with individuals, couples, families, and communities;
- policy analysis and advocacy; and
- social work research.
Our students are trained to help people discover and build upon their resources and strengths as well as the resources and strengths of their environment to meet the challenges of poverty, discrimination, health and mental health issues, and other difficult life situations. UNCW social work graduates are working in social service, health, and mental health agencies in Southeastern North Carolina, throughout the state, and across the country.
UNCW School of Social Work Statement of Values (2013)
The faculty of the School of Social Work supports all professional values and ethics articulated by the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics. Further, we believe in…
- …collaborative interprofessional and intraprofessional teaching, practice, and research.
- … student-centered education that prepares students for the reality of resiliency-based, reasoned, and informed practice.
- …an environment that is creative, fun, collegial, and supportive of community members who are passionate and committed to learning, teaching, and service.
- …continuously enhancing the quality of the School and faculty through mentoring, transparency, and creative and innovative engagement.
- …an appreciation of the holistic nature of diversity.
Please explore our site and learn about the degree programs, scholarship, and service at the School of Social Work at the University of North Carolina Wilmington.