Contact Dr. Daniel Buffington
Office: BR 123
Ph.D. University of Georgia, Sociology
M.A. University of Georgia, Sociology
B.A. University of New Mexico, Anthropology and Art History
CV Curriculum Vitae
Buffington D. (2012) “US and them:
American Ambivalence towards the World Cup and
American Nationalism” Journal of Sport & Social
- Buffington, Daniel T. 2012 "The four sources of evidence." Class Activity published in TRAILS: Teaching Resources and Innovations Library for Sociology. Washington DC: American Sociological Association.
- Buffington, D. (2012) "Recent Trends in US Inequality." Class Activity published in TRAILS:Teaching Resources and Innovations Library for Sociology. Washington DC: American Sociological Association.
- Buffington, D. (2011) “A South in the North:
Emplacing the South in the American national
myth” National Identities, 13(3): 235-251. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/ud8M7tUDdTs5kcqKHuZS/full
Buffington, Daniel T. & Fraley, T. (2011) “Racetalk and sport: The color consciousness of contemporary racial discourse on basketball”.
Sociological Inquiry, 81(3): 333-352. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1475-682X.2011.00376.x/pdf
Buffington, D. (2010) “A review of 'African Americans and the media'” by Catherine Squires. Ethnic and Racial Studies, 33(10): 1851-2.
- Buffington, Daniel T. & Fraley, T. (2008) “Skill in Black and White: Negotiating Media Images of Race in a Sporting Context.” Journal of Communication Inquiry 32: 292-310.
- Buffington, Daniel T. (2008) “Teaching point: Using film in a sociology of sport class – an example.” In The Sociology of Sport : Syllabi and Teaching Resources. K.C. Longest (Ed.).Washington DC: American Sociological Association Publications.
- Buffington, Daniel T. (2005). “Contesting Race on Sundays: Making Meaning Out of the Rise in the Number of Black Quarterbacks.” Sociology of Sport Journal 22: 19-37.
Racial & Ethnic Relations
Migration and National Identity
Media and Communication
Sport and Leisure
Introduction to Sociology
Sociology of Culture
Racial and Ethnic Group Relations (Undergraduate and Graduate)
Sociology of Sport
Modern Social Problems
SOC 105: Introduction to Sociology (Fall13)
SOC 200:Sociology of Sport (Spring 10)
SOC 215:Modern Social Problems (Spring 13)
SOC 306:Sociology of Culture (Spring 11)
SOC 325:Racial and Ethnic Group Relations (FALL 12)
SOC 490:Senior Seminar
SOC 525:Racial and Ethnic Group Relations (Fall 11)
Current Research Projects
Sport, Global Migration, and National Identity
Impact of Mass Media on Racial and Ethnic
Characterizations and Stereotypes
Southern Sociological Society
American Sociological Association
North American Society for the Sociology of Sport