Below are links to resources to help you with your proposal development.
Click here for resources that will assist in your search for funding.
F&A? Cost Sharing? Fringe? Find answers to your questions here.
Before we send your proposal to a sponsor, here are a few things you need to know...
Answers to our most Frequently Asked Questions.
There are several databases that you can use to search for funding. The most common are:
- Grants.Gov – Your source to find and apply for federal grants. You can register in grants.gov as an individual to begin receiving email alerts about grant opportunities in your discipline. You do not have to register in grants.gov to apply for grants. Submission of grants.gov applications is an ORS function.
- InfoEd Global -
- Foundation Search - UNCW has a subscription to Foundation Search online. FoundationSearch is North America's leading source of fundraising information for non-profits and charities. Our online resource includes more than 120,000 foundations, representing billions of dollars in annual granting, and includes tools to locate grants by type, value, year, recipient, donor and historical giving trends, and much more. Along with BIG Online, FoundationSearch is a key resource for the nonprofit sector, and an integral part of Metasoft's mission to help non-profits efficiently identify, attract, and manage the relationships and resources vital to the fulfillment of their philanthropic missions. Call the Office of Research Services for access.
- Foundation Center - Philanthropy News Digest, a service of the Foundation Center, host a list of requests for proposals on its site. Emails of the Directory are forwarded to the Research ListServ.
- Grants.net – Science Magazine hosts a website that includes a searchable database of grant opportunities. Included is a list of upcoming deadlines, funding news, an index of fellowship opportunities and an opportunity to sign-up for a weekly email alert.
Here are the links to several of the federal agencies who have funded UNCW Research in the past:
- Department of Education
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
The State of North Carolina commonly funds research. Here is a sample of those departments:
- NC Department of Justice
- NC Department of Environment & Natural Resources
- NC Department of Public Instruction
- NC Cooperative Extension
- NC Department of Health & Human Services
Several private nonprofit organizations also fund research. Here is just a few of those entities.
- North Carolina Humanities Council
- North Carolina Biotechnology Center (NC Biotech)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
- Golden Leaf Foundation
Charles L. Cahill Awards
Within UNCW, full-time tenured and tenure track UNCW faculty are eligible for seed money for the initiation of projects that subsequently may attract funding from other sources, encourage new research or artistic endeavors, support travel to research collections, and encourage the development of specific professional skills. If you are interested, click here to get the guidelines . The application is available in Pdf or MS Word.