Bachelor of Arts: Recreation Therapy
Graduates in Recreation Therapy are trained to utilize recreation activities and otheractive treatment modalities to increase the functional abilities and quality of life of people of all ages with disabilities andillnesses. Their services complement physical, occupational, and speech therapy, as well other allied health and human services to address clients' adjustment to illness/disability and education for a new lifestyle. The program is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT).
Recreation Therapy Degree Program Mission:
The mission of the Recreation Therapy curriculum at UNCW is to prepare students to successfully enter ever-changing health care and human service systems with the knowledge and skills necessary to be competent practitioners and leaders in the field of recreation therapy and health care.
This preparation places a priority on the development of skills through applied learning experiences in classes, practica, internships, and community involvement. Further, student outcomes emphasize critical thinking and evidence based practice as means of assisting clients and organizations reach their goals, and maximize the quality of life of individuals.
Recreation Therapy Degree Program Goal:
The goal of UNCW's Recreation Therapy degree pogram is to to prepare competent entry-level recreation therapist in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
Between 2013 and 2015, the UNCW pass rate on the National Council of therapeutic Recreation Certification Exam was 86%.
Prospective Student Resources :
- Admissions Process (PDF)
- Essay Rubric (PDF)
- Interview Rubric (PDF)
- Technical Standards (PDF)
- Technical Standards Agreement Form (PDF)
- Recreation Therapy priority applications for Fall 2017 can be submitted until February 15, 2017.
- Recreation Therapy Advising Calendar (PDF)
- Degree Requirements (PDF)
- Recommended Sequence of Courses (PDF)
- FAQs (PDF)
- Student Learning Outcomes (PDF)
- Course Descriptions (PDF)
- RTH North Carolina Community Course Equivalents (PDF)
- RTH Student Handbook (PDF)
- RTH 390 Pre-Internship Manual (PDF)
- ARTS Student Organization
- Visit our UNCW Association of Recreation Therapy Facebook page
Careers in Recreation Therapy (external links):
- 6 Things to Know About Recreational Therapists
- Kiplinger names Recreation Therapy #4 In "10 Best Majors for a Lucrative Career
- Why Hire a CTRS (PDF)
- I am a Recreational Therapist
- Recreational Therepists help patients play to win
- Bridging the Gap: Recreational Therapy and its place in Healthcare
Professional Organizations (external links):
- Therapeutic Recreation Directory
- American Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA)
- National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC)
- North Carolina Recreational Therapy Association (NCRTA)
- NC Board of Recreational Therapy Licensure (NCBRTL)
Notable Students and Activities:
- Featured Recreation Therapy Students & Alumni
- Aquatic Therapy
- Interns at Trinity Grove
- Adaptive Water Sports Day
- Accessible Recreation Day
- Ropes Course
- Miracle Field
- Assistance Dog Training
UNCW offers scholarships to currently enrolled students. All prospective and accepted School of Health and Applied Human Sciences students are encouraged to fill out their FAFSA and the UNCW Scholarship Application in MySeaport to be eligible to receive awards from the university, college or school.
Other scholarship opportunities outside of UNCW (external links):