The Office of the Dean of Students is committed to advocacy and education centered on student growth and self-responsibility by serving as a central resource for UNCW students, faculty and staff. Through collaboration with the university and Wilmington community, we provide assistance to members of the UNCW community by:
- Educating students about their rights and responsibilities as members of our community;
- Assisting students, faculty and staff with interpretation of campus policies, including the Code of Student Life (PDF)and the Student Academic Honor Code (PDF);
- Training and educating faculty, staff and students on community standards and conflict resolution;
- Establishing grievance and conflict resolution procedures;
- Referring students to a myriad of resources to increase the likelihood of their success;
- Assisting in the coordination of 24 hour emergency and crisis response; and
- Providing resources and education for special populations including fraternity & sorority life members; off campus and non-traditional students; and graduate students.
Our mission is to foster a respectful and dynamic community that affirms the value and contributions of each individual, and which harbors and elevates democracy, civility, and diversity as paramount values.
The following services and programs are coordinated and managed through the Office of the Dean of Students:
- Off-Campus, Non-Traditional students
- Graduate Student Life Programming
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (Peer Mediation)
- Cornerstone Community Standards
- Student Conduct / Campus Conduct Board
- Student Academic Honor Code (PDF)/ Student Academic Honor Board
- Case Management / Student Behavioral Intervention / Resource Referral
Student rights and responsibilities are communicated through the Code of Student Life, and we adjudicate academic and behavioral violations through the campus conduct system. At the core of conduct proceedings is the education of the individual student balanced with consideration of the welfare of the greater university community.
Our staff is invested in the success of each and every student, and we invite you to access us as partners in assisting you in your roles as students, faculty and staff at UNCW.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 910.962.3119 or DeanofStudents@uncw.edu.