The Department of Music is dedicated to fostering excellence in performance, pedagogy, and scholarship. Teaching and mentoring are paramount in the development of performance technique, creative and critical thinking, and artistic expression in our students. The music faculty strive to model and promote the highest level of musicianship, creativity, and scholarship through their artistic endeavors and research. The department is committed to enriching the quality of life within and beyond southeastern North Carolina by serving as a cultural and educational resource in the region.
- Guide students in becoming performers who possess artistic sensitivity, technical facility, and an intellectual understanding of a wide-ranging repertoire of quality musical works.
- Guide students in becoming music teachers who possess a high level of musicianship, understanding of pedagogy, communication skills, reflective practice, and technological competence.
- Prepare students for graduate study through a comprehensive curriculum that provides a strong foundation for advanced work in a range of music specialties.
- Present a multiplicity of performance and educational events through collaborations with area musicians and arts organizations.
- Emphasize social and historical context in the study of music, and facilitate insight into the diversity of cultures and their musical practices in this country and around the world.
- Offer students campus-wide an extensive curriculum designed to inspire creative and critical thinking and the exchange of ideas.
- Encourage the development of the dispositions and skills needed for lifelong learning, achievement, and service.