Sea Sports Science Olympiad: Ages 11-13
Must have completed 5th grade and turn 11 by June 1st
Spend a week diving into ocean sports and preparing for the upcoming Science Olympiad season. Snorkel, surf, kayak and boogie board your way to scientific principles that can help you successfully compete in Olympiad events such as bridges, dynamic planet, meteorology, fossils, road scholar and crave the wave. Each morning you will be out in the field using sea sports to gain information that can help you with that day's specific event. Afternoons will be devoted to building, practicing and competing. This camp is sure to be a gold medal winner!
Field excursions include:
- Going to the beach, marsh, intracoastal waterway, fouling station, coquina outcrop, undeveloped barrier island, and Center for Marine Science.
- kayaking to a dredge spoil island; boogie board oceanography; shallow water snorkeling to observe coastal erosion; improve your map skills; learn how to use GPS; use weather instruments; try surfing; gain practice in at 6 science olympiad events.
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday / Monday - Friday|
|8:00 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Friday pick up/final presentation at 12:30 p.m.
|Residential students must arrive on Sunday at 3:00 p.m. while commuting students join the program Monday at 8:00 a.m.|
Staff / Student Ratio:
|Summer 2017 Dates:||
You must register by 5:00 p.m. the Wednesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the next step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest