Cancellation Policy | PDF
Sea Sports Science Olympiad: Ages 11-14
Must have completed 5th grade and turn 11 by June 1st
MarineQuest invites you to try some fun ocean water sports - including snorkeling, kayaking, surfing and fishing - while you also learn about underlying scientific principles that can help you succeed in Science Olympiad events. Explore Meteorology and learn how to predict the perfect conditions for catching a big wave for surfing. Observe how waves erode coastal Rocks and Minerals while fishing along the shore on a unique rocky outcrop. Investigate whether or not the Water Quality is fine for snorkeling. Kayak to two different bridges and study their structures, then return to the lab and use your observations to build the strongest Boomleaver possible or a Duct Tape bridge. Compare maps to nautical charts to become a Road Scholar. This camp is sure to be a gold medal winner!
Field excursions include:
- Going to the beach, marsh, intercoastal waterway, coquina outcrop, and Center for Marine Science.
- Kayaking in the intercoastal waterway; shallow water snorkeling; surfing and wave prediction; improve your map skills; learn how to use GPS; use
weather instruments; try surf fishing;
gain practice in a variety of science olympiad events.
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Monday - Friday|
|8 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. p/u
Pick up on Friday is at 12:30 p.m.
Staff / Child Ratio:
|Location:||UNCW Campus - drop off at Isaac Bear parking lot|
|Summer 2014 Dates:||
August 4 - 8 (commuter only)
You must register by 5:00pm the Tuesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their teacher recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the final step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest