MarineQuest Main Line
Cancellation Policy | PDF
PADI Medical Statement | PDF
Policies | PDF
mq scientific diver brochure
MQ Scientific Diver | PDF
The MarineQuest staff is more than happy to pick-up and drop-off students at
Wilmington International Airport at no cost. An airline request form is required
(see above link for more details).
• Linens are provided - DO NOT bring sheets, pillows, and blankets.
• Laundry facilities are available at no cost - bring detergent
• No electronic equipment (other than cell phones) is allowed.
• What to Bring/Wear | PDF
MarineQuest Scientific Diver: Ages 15*-17
Must have completed 8th grade and be 15 by June 1st. May not turn 18 before July 31st. Due to certain program activity regulations, no participant under the age of 15 can be permitted to participate in this program without special arrangements and approval from MarineQuest.
Prerequisite: (1) Students must have an open water dive certification from a nationally recognized organization prior to starting this program. (2) Students must obtain Divers Alert Network (DAN) insurance or equivalent diving coverage prior to program start date. (3) Ability to pass PADI swim test, including 10 minute float or tread in deep water and un-timed 200 meter/yard continuous surface swim.
Connect with the ocean like never before while you develop diving skills that will have you well on your way towards becoming a scientific scuba diver. Serious marine enthusiasts will learn about, and work towards, becoming future scientific divers in this unique program. Enjoy diving places that SCUBA diving magazine has called a “world-class collection of wrecks” while you develop skills necessary to achieve this diving status. Obtain various applicable certifications and be halfway towards the minimum number of dives required to become a scientific diver at many professional organizations. You will leave the MarineQuest Scientific Diver program with an arsenal of new skills and abilities applicable to scientific diving as well as the knowledge and training needed to be a better, safer, well-educated diver, and so much more!
New for Summer 2015 - a choice of evening activities specifically designed for highly motivated teen marine scientists in training.
Field excursions include:
- Dive historical shipwrecks including (weather dependent) the Stone Tug, Old Dredge, Markham, the infamous Hyde; Dive the beautiful 8-mile and 23-mile ledges; Trips to various local marine habitats including salt marshes, beaches, protected estuary reserves; the UNCW Center for Marine Science; and Fort Fisher Aquarium.
- Enjoy TEN dives with an amazing 1:4 student to Dive Instructor / Dive Master ratio providing personal attention and training tips; opportunity to earn a distinctive specialty diving certification, nitrox diver certification, and DAN oxygen first aid for scuba diving injuries certification; interact with professional dive instructors as they work with you develop and refine skills most applicable to a scientific diver; participate in an underwater fish count for the REEF volunteer survey project; meet and learn from a UNCW research/scientific diver; kayak through the estuary; and more…
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday - Tuesday (10-day program)|
|Tuesday pick-up is at 12:30 p.m.|
Staff / Child Ratio:
|Scuba Diving Ratio:||1:4|
|Summer 2015 Dates:||
June 21 - 30
(includes $1100 dive fee)
* Tuition includes distinctive diving specialty certification, nitrox diver certification, DAN oxygen first aid for scuba diving injuries certification, as well as scuba equipment, wetsuit rental fees plus additional dives.
** Students will be responsible for bringing mask, snorkel and fins (may be purchased at program for a discounted rate through local dive shop ~ $175 package)
You must register by 5:00pm the Tuesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their teacher recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the next step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest