TECHNOcean: Ages 10-13
Must have completed 4th grade and turn 10 by June 1st
Join MarineQuest as we explore the exciting fields of marine technology and coastal environmental engineering. Tour the Battleship North Carolina with marine engineers. and discover why gyroscopes are necessary on a ship. Learn how the Army Corps of Engineers help to create artifical reefs out of sunken ships. Assemble and operate working ROVs to explore under water. Engineer a simple hydrophone to listen to the sounds of the sea. Travel by boat to an undeveloped barrier island and learn how scientists use global satellite positioning (GPS) to track ocean animals. Investigate the effectiveness of natural and artificial barriers that engineers use to protect our coastlines. Research the pros and cons of coastal wind energy while building a working wind turbine. This camp is designed to engineer ocean tech fun!
Field excursions include:
- Explore coastal habitats by kayak; Take field trips to the beach, marsh, fouling communities, Center for Marine Science, Battleship North Carolina, and other marine locations.
- Learn how scientists track marine animals through satellite global positioning, use GPS tracking to find simulated animal nesting areas, discover the sounds under the sea as you build your own hydrophone, learn how engineers create artificial reefs. Use waterproof drop cameras to survey the diversity around fouling communities. Participate in boogie board oceanography, shallow water snorkeling and more…
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday / Monday - Friday|
8:00 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Friday pick up/final presentation at 12:30 p.m.
|Residential students must arrive on Sunday at 3:00 p.m. while commuting students join the program Monday at 8:00 a.m.|
Staff / Student Ratio:
|Summer 2017 Dates:||
You must register by 5:00 p.m. the Wednesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here (link coming Fall 2016) to submit their recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the next step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest