Ocean CHEMystery: Ages 15-17
Must have completed 9th grade and turn 15 by June 1st. Must not turn 18 before July 31st.
Prerequisite: must have completed at least one basic chemistry class.
Discover the underlying chemical basis for some of the ocean's most mysterious environmental challenges. Why do tuna contain mercury? Why do whales have blisters? Why are corals dissolving? Experiment with analytical techniques that forensic chemists use to solve these kinds of mysteries. Learn how chemicals cycle through our atmosphere, lithosphere and hydrosphere to impact life in the ocean. Understand the importance of ocean chemistry for all biological lifeforms. Investigate the chemical basis for different types of marine pollution. Explore a variety of coastal habitats while collecting data to monitor the marine environment.
Field excursions include:
- Ocean research cruise; going to the beach, fouling community, marsh; tours of Center for Marine Science.
- Interact with UNCW scientists involved in ocean monitoring; experiment in university labs; learn how to use field equipment for sampling and analysis of water and sediments; monitor potential algal blooms; kayaking; boogie board oceanography; shallow water snorkeling.
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
Sunday / Monday - Friday
|8:00 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Friday pick up/final presentation at 12:30 p.m.
Residential students must arrive on Sunday at 3:00 p.m. while commuting students join the program Monday at 8:00 a.m.
Staff / Student Ratio:
|Summer 2017 Dates:||
You must register by 5:00 p.m. the Wednesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the next step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest