MarineQuest Main Line
Cancellation Policy | PDF
Ocean chemystery Brochure
Ocean CHEMystery | PDF
The MarineQuest staff is more than happy to pick-up and drop-off students at
Wilmington International Airport at no cost. An airline request form is required
(see above link for more details).
• Linens are provided - DO NOT bring sheets, pillows, and blankets.
• Laundry facilities are available at no cost - bring detergent
• No electronic equipment (other than cell phones) is allowed.
• What to Bring/Wear | PDF
Ocean CHEMystery: Ages 15-17
Must have completed 9th grade and turn 15 by June 1st. May not turn 18 before July 31st. Prerequisite: must have completed at least one basic chemistry class.
Discover the underlying chemical basis for some of the ocean's most mysterious environmental challenges. Why do sharks contain mercury? Why do whales have blisters? Why are corals dissolving? Experiment with analytical techniques that forensic chemists use to solve these kinds of mysteries. Learn how chemicals cycle through our atmosphere, lithosphere and hydrosphere to impact life in the ocean. Understand the importance of ocean chemistry for all biological lifeforms. Investigate the chemical basis for different types of marine pollution. Explore a variety of coastal habitats while collecting data to monitor the marine environment.
Field excursions include:
- Include: Ocean research cruise; going to the beach, fouling community, marsh, rocky outcrops, and Cape Fear River; tours of Center for Marine Science and aquaculture center.
- Interact with UNCW scientists involved in ocean monitoring; experiment in university labs; learn how to use field equipment for sampling and analysis of water and sediments; monitor potential algal blooms; kayaking; boogie board oceanography; shallow water snorkeling.
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
Saturday - Thursday (Session 1)
Sunday/Monday - Friday (Session 2)
|8 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. p
Pick-up/final presentation on Thursday is at 12:30 p.m.
Session 1 - Residential students must arrive on Saturday at 11:00 am, while commuting students join the program Saturday at 12:00 pm.
Session 2 - Residential students must arrive on Sunday at 3 p.m. while commuting students join the program Monday at 8 a.m.
Staff / Child Ratio:
|Location:||UNCW Campus - Commuter drop off at Isaac Bear parking lot|
|Summer 2015 Dates:||
Session 2: July 26 - 31 5 Slots Remaining!
You must register by 5:00pm the Tuesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their teacher recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the next step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest