Cancellation Policy | PDF
Payment Plan | PDF
OCEANS | PDF
The MarineQuest staff is more than happy to pick-up and drop-off students at
Wilmington International Airport at no cost. An airline request form is required
(see above link for more details).
• Linens are provided - DO NOT bring sheets, pillows, and blankets.
• Laundry facilities are available at no cost - bring detergent
• No electronic equipment (other than cell phones) is allowed.
• You will receive a Welcome Packet with detailed information on what to bring after registering.
OCEANS: Ages 15 - 16
Ocean Career Exploration and Nautical Science
Must have completed 9th grade and turn 15 by June 1st
Think you want to be a marine biologist? How about an oceanographer? Maybe you prefer marine technology specialist? You can explore these marine scientific career options and more during our two-week O.C.E.A.N.S. program. Learn about jobs in different fields of marine science, including technology and engineering. Work as part of a team to engineer a working remotely operated vehicle and investigate the importance of ROVs for ocean exploration. Discover the latest news from the field of marine biotechnology. Gain first-hand experience using a variety of field equipment to collect data and monitor the marine environment. Participate in a full day research cruise and learn how to use aboard ship equipment and instrumentation. You'll be amazed by the career options marine science has for you.
Field excursions include:
- Six-hour research cruise on the ocean; a trip to an undeveloped barrier island, field trips to beach, marshes, fouling station, rocky intertidal zone, sea turtle hospital, marine technology program, aquaculture lab, Center for Marine Science, and other marine facilities.
- Build a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) and complete an underwater mission; interact with UNCW research scientists; explore a variety of marine habitats while performing a comparative biological study; do transect analysis while snorkeling; conduct field research using Vernier LabQuest hand-held computers, plot marine debris and perform a beach profile using GPS, analyze phytoplankton and chlorophyll data for a NOAA sponsored program, analyze side scan sonar and CTD probe data, participate in marine animal dissections, study wave formation with boogie board oceanography; take a surf lesson; and more…
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday - Friday (two week program)|
|Friday pick-up/final presentation at 12:30 p.m.|
Staff / Student Ratio:
|Summer 2016 Dates:||
You must register by 5:00 p.m. the Wednesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the next step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest