We continue to expand our services across campus to meet the growing demand for Distance Education solutions and programs. Beginning in fall 2015, two new DE classrooms will go online in the Watson School of Education, increasing the total number of Distance Education enabled classrooms in the Education building to seven. In the ongoing effort to provide the best customer service to our faculty and students who use these classrooms, each of the rooms is supported from one central control room by technicians who are readily available to provide technical assistance and respond to any questions that may arise.
Online Collaboration Tools
In addition to connectivity with professional grade video conferencing solutions, our classrooms seamlessly connect with remote participants anywhere in the world via their personal computers or other mobile devices. Along with providing support for the UNCW Virtual Classroom platform (currently WebEx), we also support a wide array of other online collaboration tools including Skype, Google Hangouts, GoTo Meeting, Adobe Connect and more.
Classroom & Personal Desktop Capture
Classroom and personal desktop capture solutions are available to enable any class, meeting or event to be recorded, archived and made available for live or on-demand streaming to remote participants and distance learners regardless of their location. Individual accounts are also available, enabling faculty to record, upload, edit and manage their own content from any device or location.
Our two TelePresence Classrooms (Ed Building #368 and King #203) provide state of the art, full HD and immersive conferencing environments for academic classes or meetings of any type featuring connectivity to remote participants and distance learners anywhere in the world.
To schedule a class, a conference or a tour of our facilities, please contact Daniel Noonan at 910-962-3928.
Distance Education Services
In an effort to lead in cost effective services, ITS offers the facilities, equipment and technical assistance for:
- Virtual Classroom Solutions, Video Conferencing & Mobile Collaboration Technologies: On-site support for any type of online video collaboration tool; including WebEx, Skype, GoTo Meeting, Google Hangouts, Cisco Telepresence as well as traditional videoconferencing solutions for any application (e.g., academic classes and academic support programs, administrative meetings, “by request” special events, etc.).
- Lecture Capture: Any type of event or content can be captured, archived and made available to remote participants and distance learners anywhere in the world.
- Classroom Capture: provided for large groups such as academic classes and support programs, administrative meetings, seminars and special events.
- Personal Desktop Capture: software solutions available to record lectures as well as upload, edit and manage media content from the convenience of your home, office or anywhere there is an internet connection.
- Live or On-demand Video Streaming: Easy to use webcast technologies provided so any type of event or content can be streamed live to anywhere in the world. These events and media remain available on-demand to remote students and distance learners from any device, at any time, no matter their location.
- Digital Media and Instructional Content Management: Any type of media content (e.g., videos, VHS, DVD, etc.) can be uploaded, archived and individually managed on our media server. Support is provided to enable you to seamlessly integrate this content into Blackboard, your faculty homepage or anywhere else.
Locations and Facilities
UNCW’s Distance Education Services currently supports 12 Distance Education Classrooms strategically located throughout campus:
TelePresence Classrooms (photos):
Fully Integrated Distance Education Classrooms (photos):
- Cameron #123 (.JPG)
- Education Building #214 (.JPG)
- Education Building #226 (.JPG)
- Education Building #266 (.JPG)
- Education Building #337 (.JPG)
- Education Building #246 (.JPG)
- King Hall #202 (.JPG)
- McNeil #2056 (.JPG)
- Randall Library #2005 (.JPG)
- Teaching Lab Building #1053 (.JPG)
Parking and Hours of Operation
- For Randall Library room #2005 and King Hall rooms #202 or #203, please park in visitor lots "D" or "M."
- For Education Building classrooms and Teaching Lab Building #1053, please park in the parking deck (Additional parking information).
- Hours of operation: Weekdays 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. and weekends by request
- Campus Map for your convenience
UNCW’s Distance Education Services is an original member of the North Carolina Research and Education Network (NCREN). Our network affiliation with NCREN provides the UNCW community with access to a full suite of virtual classroom, videoconferencing, Web conferencing, satellite, streaming media and real-time collaboration and communication connectivity to public, private and non-profit institutions and organizations located throughout the world.