Spyware Removal From Home
Here are the instructions for removing spyware from your computer. In addition to these instructions, we also recommend you:
- Download Microsoft Security Essentials for free here: http://www.uncw.edu/virus
- Always keep your Windows Updates current: http://update.microsoft.com (external link)
Step 1- Remove any programs that are known to be risky that may cause problems for your computer. (See List) To remove these programs:
1. From the Start Menu open the Control Panel (Fig.1)
2. Choose "Programs and Features" (Windows 7) (Fig.2)
- Antivirus programs other than Microsoft Security Essentials
- All Peer-to-Peer programs (sample listed below). If you don't know what a program is, search for the name in your search engine.
Step 2- Delete Internet Temporary Files from your computer
- From the Start Menu open the Control Panel (Fig.1)
- Choose "Internet Options" from the list.
- A box called Internet Properties will open. Choose the tab at the top labeled "General" (Fig.3)
- In the center of this box, under "Browsing History" choose "Delete" (Fig.3)
- A box called "Delete Browsing History" will open. Check "Temporary Internet Files" and "Cookies" and then press delete. (Fig.4)
Step 3- Install a copy of the currently recommended spyware removal program to your computer.
You are not running the program during this step, just installing the program.
Our recommended free program at this time is : Malwarebytes.
Please view the Malwarebytes website to download the executable file: http://www.malwarebytes.org
If your computer is not able to get on the Internet you can go to another computer and download the file to a USB key and then transfer it to your computer. You may also ask the TAC to copy the file to your USB key.