“Sharing and/or downloading copyrighted music, videos and film is both illegal and against UNCW policy.”
Recent IT Security Alerts
Sign up! Emergency Text Alerts
Register for EMERGENCY text and voice messaging through mySeaport. View information here.
Check out the Security Corner in the IT Bulletin.
President Obama on Cyber Security (You Tube video)
Protecting Your Identity (FTC site)
Stop.Think.Connect Campaign (Homeland Security site)
Social Networking videos
About IT Security
Cybersecurity is our shared responsibility. Be sure to take precautions to keep your computer, your mobile devices and yourself safe and secure online.
View information on National Cyber Security Awareness Month and the Educause 2013 Information Security Awareness Video & Poster Contest here.
Be Safe - Social Networking
Practice Healthy Web Habits
- Start using strong passwords when creating accounts.
- Try to avoid opening unknown attachments from e-mail.
- Remember to install the latest Antivirus protection and keep it up-to-date.
- Only open e-mail from identifiable senders (when in doubt, delete).
- Never submit personal information when a site looks questionable.
- Going to an authenticated site? Log out when finished.
- Download Antivirus
- "Is My Computer Infected?"
- Safeguard Personal Information
- Create Secure Passwords
- Manage Spam Settings
- Identify Email Scams
- Attend Virus Clinics (for Students)
- Learn about Mobile Device Security
- Learn about Computrace (Helps recover lost or stolen computers)
- Prepare for Hurricanes/Storms (IT Guidelines & Best Practices)
- Data Security and Identity Protection
- Illegal File Sharing
- NC Data Retention Requirements (PDF)
- Social Networking
- UNCW's Information Technology Policies
- FCC Regulation for underage users on university systems
- FTC Identity Theft Protection Assistance
- FTC Red Flag Guidance
- FTC Scam Alerts
- FBI Scam Warnings
- NC Dept. of Justice Identity Theft Protection Assistance
- NC Dept. of Justice Fraud Alerts
- OnGuard Online Information Security Awareness Education and Training
- US-CERT Computer Threats and Alerts
If you need help:
Please contact the Technology Assistance Center (TAC).
NOTE: UNCW will NEVER ask you for your email credentials or any account related information. If you receive an email asking for this information, delete it and do not reply.