Staff Development & Training: Tuition Waiver
The North Carolina General Assembly recently passed legislation beginning with the spring 2015 semester allowing the UNC System to increase the number of courses that employees may take by tuition waiver from two, to three per academic year (a fall semester, spring semester, and the summer semesters that follow, or courses taken as distance education).
Tuition Benefit (For Summer Sessions at UNCW Only)
All permanent UNCW employees participating in TSERS or ORP retirement systems are eligible for tuition benefit for one credit or non-credit course for each summer session at UNCW.
Application Fee Benefit
All active UNCW employees with permanent appointments and their dependents are eligible for the application fee benefit paid by the UNCW Foundation Staff Support & Development Fund.
Undergraduate Orientation Fee Waiver
All active UNCW employees with permanent appointments
and their dependents are eligible for an undergraduate orientation fee
waiver, which is processed through the UNCW Orientation Office. Forms
must be submitted prior to payment of orientation fee as no refunds will
Are you eligible for free tuition?
You could be if you are:
- A permanent UNCW employee
- Working 30 or more hours per week
- Participating in the TSERS or ORP retirement system
This educational benefit can enable you to enrich your life as a lifelong learner or can lead to earning your degree. For additional information please go to HR 08.410 - Training and Staff Development Educational Options or contact Human Resources at extension 2-3274.
To request an Application for Tuition Waiver or Benefit Waiver form, please contact Human Resources at extension 2-3160 or complete the online application and forward to Human Resources, Box 5960 or fax 2-3840. You must complete a separate form for each class you wish to have your tuition waived.
This completed form must be received in the Student Accounts Office no later than the final add/drop date of the applicable term. Tuition waivers will not be processed after this date. Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis for extenuating circumstances.
To request an Application Fee and/or Orientation Fee Waiver for Permanent Employees or Dependents, please call Human Resources at extension 2-3160 or complete the online application and forward to Human Resources, Box 5960 or fax 2-3840.
Textbook Scholarship Program
The Textbook Scholarship Program allows eligible UNCW employees to borrow required textbook(s) from the UNCW Bookstore for undergraduate or graduate classes taken by tuition benefit or fee waiver. The benefit is for used textbooks – new textbooks are provided only if used textbooks are not available. The program permits the use of required textbook(s) for three courses per academic year, and one course for each summer session.
The Textbook Scholarship covers all textbook(s) only for the class or classes listed on the approved tuition benefit or fee waiver form.
To participate in the Textbook Scholarship Program, employees must apply by completing and submitting the following documents:
- A completed Textbook Scholarship Application (application is also available at Auxiliary Services)
- A completed and approved Application for Tuition Waiver or Benefit and Fee Waiver (HR 4.10) (All permanent UNCW employees (working 30+ hours per week) participating in TSERS or ORP retirement systems are eligible for a tuition waiver for three courses during the academic year (fall and spring) at UNCW and other branches of the UNC system. A similar ‘Tuition Benefit’ is available for one course for each summer session at UNCW. For more information: Staff Tuition Wavers)
- A copy of your class schedule.
- Submit the documents either in person to the Auxiliary Services front desk, by campus mail to campus mailbox 5936, Attention: Faculty/Staff Textbook Scholarship, or by e-mail to FAStextbooks@uncw.edu.
(Please be aware that the mail service will not be in operation while the campus is closed.)
- Application documents will be accepted until the end of drop/add for Fall & Spring semesters, and until the first day of Summer I class for both Summer I & Summer II session participation. Depending on class enrollment numbers and the demand for textbook(s) they cannot be guaranteed to be promptly available.
To receive your textbooks, stop by the bookstore to select the required textbooks once you have been notified that all paperwork has been received. The funds for the textbooks will be put onto an account at the bookstore. Once you have selected your textbooks:
- Let the cashier know that you have a Faculty/Staff textbook scholarship and present your UNCW ID card to the cashier.
- Complete the Textbook Check-Out Form and submit it electronically, or by e-mail to FAStextbooks@uncw.edu or email@example.com.
To return your textbooks, complete the Textbook Check-In Form and either submit this electronically, or place the form inside one of the textbooks and return them in the drop box on the first floor of the bookstore. If the books are not returned by the end of finals, you will be charged the price of the book(s).
If you have any questions about the Textbook Scholarship Program, please contact Megan Allred at firstname.lastname@example.org or 910-962-7145.