The Honors College is committed to UNCW's strategic goal of supporting students becoming global citizens. We offer the Honors Global Citizen Recognition to honors students who demonstrate active engagement with global issues, foreign language competency, and study abroad. In addition, each year we offer "honors international splashes"- opportunities to take honors seminars that involve short-term travel abroad. We also have an honors semester at University of Swansea (Wales) every spring.
SPRING and Summer 2014
|HONORS INTERNATIONAL SPLASHES||SWANSEA 2014 SEMESTER|
HON 120 classes
HON 120 to CUBA with Dr. Alina Szmant
HON 120: Animal Behavior in Andean Ecuador with Drs. Kate Bruce and Mark Galizio (Psychology) travel druing spring break
HON 210 and SPN 294 (6 credits) to Peru (Inca Trail) with Dr. Bill Atwill (English) and Ms. Valerie Rider (Spanish)
Faculty Director: Dr. David Weber
Interested in Swansea?
Contact Dr. David Weber
Honors Global Citizen Recognition
The Honors Global Citizen Recognition is an option for students completing University or Departmental Honors that encourages students to make global discoveries on campus and abroad.
Upon completion of the requirements and attainment of a degree with honors, the notation for the certificate will be posted on the student's academic transcript. To qualify for this distinction, students must:
- Maintain the required honors GPA on all college work attempted in the United States or abroad.
- Develop and complete an honors project (499) that has shows active engagement with global issues, such as an increased awareness of international issues, understanding of global interdependence, or demonstration of global citizenship.
- Proposals must be reviewed by the Office of International Programs and Honors College, and application is done through an online survey.
- Earn at least 6 student credit hours in a UNCW-approved education abroad program.
- Complete at least the 202 level, or equivalent, of a foreign language with a C or better grade.
- Complete at least one HON seminar with global content. Check with the director for approval.
- Complete nine additional hours of 3-credit hour courses with global content with a C or better in each. These classes may be selected from courses approved for the International Studies major or minor, or from the University Studies courses approved for global content. At least two disciplinary areas must be represented.
Honors Semester Abroad at the University of Swansea (Wales)
Program Information for Spring 2013 Semester Study Abroad in Swansea, Wales
Again for spring 2014, the Honors College at the University of North Carolina Wilmington will sponsor a semester study abroad program in Wales at Swansea University, winner of the coveted London Times award for “best student experience” among British universities, as determined by student votes. We welcome honors students from universities across the United States to join us!!!!!
The semester is hosted by Dr. David Weber, Commication Studies. For more info: go to SWANSEA 2014.
For more information about future semesters in Wales, please contact Ms. Kara Pike, Assistant Director of Education Abroad (email@example.com ) with any questions.
Offices and Web sites with more Information:
Swansea Univ. home page: http://www.swan.ac.uk/