The Honors College is committed to UNCW's strategic goal of supporting students becoming global citizens. We offer the Honors Global Citizen Recognition to honors students who demonstrate active engagement with global issues, foreign language competency, and study abroad. In addition, each year we offer "honors international splashes"- opportunities to take honors seminars that involve short-term travel abroad. We also have an honors semester at University of Swansea (Wales) every spring.
On the Horizon
Spring or Summer 2017
|HONORS INTERNATIONAL SPLASHES||SWANSEA 2017 SEMESTER|
HON 121- Honors in Cuba- taught by Kara Pike Inman and Jennifer Fernandez-Villa
For more info:
see the flier or contact
HON 210- Honors in Peru- taught by Valerie Rider
For more info: contact
HON 121 - Honors on the Mediterranean- taught by Marianella Jara
Faculty Director: Dr. Randy Cottrell
(Health and Applied Human Sciences)
Contact Dr. Cottrell
Honors Global Citizen Recognition
The Honors Global Citizen Recognition is an option for students completing University or Departmental Honors that encourages students to make global discoveries on campus and abroad.
Students who complete the requirements receive a certificate and recognition at the Honors Medallion Ceremony. They are also featured on our website.
To qualify for this distinction, students must:
- Maintain the required honors GPA on all college work attempted in the United States or abroad.
- Develop and complete an honors project (499) that has shows active engagement with global issues, such as an increased awareness of international issues, understanding of global interdependence, or demonstration of global citizenship.
- Proposals must be reviewed by the Office of International Programs and Honors College, and application is done through an online survey.
- Earn at least 6 student credit hours in a UNCW-approved education abroad program.
- Complete at least the 202 level, or equivalent, of a foreign language with a C or better grade.
- Complete at least one HON seminar with global content. Check with the director for approval.
- Complete nine additional hours of 3-credit hour courses with global content with a C or better in each. These classes may be selected from courses approved for the International Studies major or minor, or from the University Studies courses approved for global content. At least two disciplinary areas must be represented.
Honors Semester Abroad at the University of Swansea (Wales)