Information and Resources
UNCW Sorority Life has:
- 13 Nationally Affiliated Sororities
- 9 Panhellenic Sororities: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Phi, Alpha Xi Delta, Chi Omega, Delta Zeta, Phi Mu, & Sigma Sigma Sigma
- Kappa Delta will be joining our community in Spring 2016, and Delta Gamma in Spring 2018
- 3 National Pan-Hellenic Council Sororities: Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, & Zeta Phi Beta.
- 1 other National Sorority: Sigma Alpha Omega Christian Sorority
- 1084 Sorority Women
- All Sorority Average GPA: 3.28
- All 9 Panhellenic Sororities in Sorority Housing
Recruitment Chair Information
Fall 2015 Panhellenic Formal Recruitment!
Registration will open May 11, 2015!
For more FAQ's about formal recruitment and information about each chapter, download our 2014 information booklet!
Please contact a chapter president or Emma Wilcox, PHC Vice President of Recruitment, for more information.
What is Sorority Recruitment?
Fall Panhellenic sorority recruitment is a mutually selective process between you and the sororities we have on campus. You will get a chance to meet all the sororities throughout the week, narrowing down the groups to the chapter that fits you the best. At the end of the recruitment events, you will receive an invitation to become a member (a bid) for one of UNCW's sororities.
Sorority Recruitment Schedule - Fall 2015
Tuesday, September 1, 2015
Recruitment Orientation- Burney 7:15pm
|Thursday, September 3, 2015||Philanthropy (Day 1)- Campus Life Space 5:30pm|
|Friday, September 4, 2015||Philanthropy (Day 2)- Campus Life Space 4:30pm|
|Saturday, September 5, 2015||Sisterhood (Day 1)- Campus Life Space 9:00am|
|Sunday, September 6, 2015||Sisterhood (Day 2)- Campus Life Space 9:00am|
|Monday, September 7, 2015||Preference- Campus Life Space 8:00am|
|Tuesday, September 8, 2015||Bid Day!- Fisher Student Center 5:30pm|
The Impact of Sorority Life
During college, a sorority offers you personal and professional support within a smaller group of friends in a larger university environment. With this support, your individual personal and leadership development is fostered through attending seminars as well as holding officer and committee positions within the chapter.
Membership in a sorority enhances your academic achievement by providing several forms of support to assist you, from study resources to quiet study areas. You are also encouraged to participate in community service through philanthropic activities, setting a pattern of lifelong service to others.
After your undergraduate years, you will have lifelong friendships as well as continued personal and professional support through alumnae activities and networking programs. For more information, visit the sites below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Sorority is the best?
At UNCW, all sororities have their own qualities that make them special to their members. The best sorority is the one that feels like the best fit for you.
What do some of these words mean?
Here are some basic recruitment terms:
- Gamma Chi: a recruitment counselor. Gamma Chi's are like orientation leaders for sorority recruitment. The Gamma Chi's and Panhellenic Executive board disaffiliate from their own chapters to serve as unbiased advisors to you. They will rejoin their chapters on Bid Day.
- Philanthropy: Generally a specific service organization or group that each national sorority adopts to provide funds and hands on service for. Each sorority will explain their service to you the first night of recruitment.
- Bid: an invitation to become a new member in one of UNCW's sororities.
Do I need to get Letters of Recommendation?
UNCW does not require students to get letters of recommendation for sorority recruitment. We follow the National Panhellenic Conference's resolution on letters of recommendation that letters are the responsibility of the NPC organization and membership is not contingent on letter. The majority of women that join an organization at UNCW do not submit letters and they are hardly used by our sororities.
What is Panhellenic and how is it different from other sororities I have heard of?
UNCW is home to 13 sororities and 850 Greek Women, although only 9 of these groups are Panhellenic sororities. The National Panhellenic Conference is the umbrella organization for 26 inter/national women's fraternities and sororities that have joined together and adopted specific guidelines to promote the values of and to serve as an advocate for its member groups in collaboration with those members, campuses and communities.
UNCW is also the home to three sororities that are members other National Pan-Hellenic Council, which is a coalition of the nine largest historically African American Greek-letter fraternities and sororities. These sororities are Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, and Zeta Phi Beta.
We also have one other National Sorority- Sigma Alpha Omega Christian Sorority. This organization has their own process for recruitment.
Do you have houses?
UNCW offers Sorority housing in the University Suites. Currently all nine Panhellenic chapters have suites. The sororities have been allowed to have their common rooms and bedrooms painted, as well as provide their own furniture and decor. The suites are single rooms that house ten women. Each sorority has their chapter’s letters on the outside of their suite.