News and Events
Message Regarding Small Campus Fires
Dear Campus Community:
At approximately 1:30 a.m. on May 10, UNCW Police and the Wilmington Fire Department responded to a call concerning five small fires, within about 100 yards of each other, on a path in the wooded area off MacMillan Avenue. The fires were quickly extinquished and no students, employees or structures were in danger at any time.
The cause of these fires is unknown at this time. The Wilmington Fire Department and NC State Bureau of Investigation have been consulted. Additional information may be released when available.
As always, but particularly as we head into the drier summer months, we ask that you remain vigilant about fire safety and any suspicious activity or behavior you believe could pose a risk to our collective well-being. Please report any suspicious activity to UNCW Police at (910) 962-2222 or in case of emergencies, call 9-1-1. Anonymous reports can be submitted online via www.UNCW.edu/police, or by phone at (910) 962-TIPS.
Visit http://uncw.edu/ehs/fire.html for fire safety resources and information. Thank you for your continued attention to campus safety.
David M. Donaldson
Chief of Police
University of North Carolina Wilmington
Be Safe on Campus
Designated as a Disaster-Resistant University, UNCW promotes a safe environment on campus through education, response and well-practiced plans for a variety of man-made and natural emergencies.
Updated Emergency Status HERE
Know UNCW Alert
UNCW Alert includes the nearly 20 different communications tools that the university may deploy during an emergency.
Pay attention to emails, text messages, phone calls and other communications from "UNCW Alert." They are official UNCW emergency updates.
Seek Info During a Campus Emergency
Each of the university's nearly 20 different UNCW Alert tools will be deployed as warranted by each unique emergency situation. Up-to-date information will be available via the above sources and one or more of the following:
- Emergency information hotline - call locally at 910.962.3991 or toll free at 888.657.5751
- Blast e-mails to the inboxes of students, faculty and staff - monitor campus email for updates and instructions during an emergency
- Emergency information website - www.uncw.edu/alert - housed outside of the UNCW server
- Emergency text messages and text-to-voice phone messages for students, faculty and staff - sign up in mySeaport in order to receive these messages
- University homepage - emergency updates may be added in the News & Events sections and an emergency scrolling banner may be launched
- Social media - emergency information will be posted on the official UNCW Facebook and Twitter pages
- Other UNCW Alert tools - visit the UNCW Emergency Tools Guide
Act When the Seahawk Warning Siren Sounds
- Seek shelter indoors. Close windows and doors.
- Seek information from the UNCW sources of communication (see below). Information will be posted and disseminate as soon as possible.
- Wait for an "all clear" siren or message.
- More information is available at www.uncw.edu/siren.
Get Help for a Personal Emergency
- Call 911
- State your name, location, phone number and details of the emergency.
- Provide first aid in a medical emergency, if trained to do so.
- More information is available on the UNCW Police website.
- In emergencies involving relationship violence, call 910.962.CARE or 910.512.4821 and refer to http://www.uncw.edu/care.