The WCE produces several publications and guides. Learn more about Watson Publications >
- Brown Bag Series
- Meet the Community Non-Profits
- Outreach Spring Conference Series
- WCE Speaker Series
Learn about the Watson College of Education's history and it's future. Learn more About Watson >
Research & Highlights
Keep up to date with the exciting things our faculty and staff are doing. Visit our Research & Highlights page >
Recent News & Events
Southeast Regional Science and Engineering Fair – Feb. 13
WCE’s CESTEM will host the 2016 Southeast Regional Science and Engineering Fair on Feb. 13. Nearly 200 students from 13 counties will participate in the event, which will be held at the Watson College. The event is free and open to the public.
Learn more >
3rd Annual First 2,000 Days Community Summit – Feb. 15
“Building Resiliency in Our Community for Young Children” is the theme of this year’s First 2,000 Days Summit, which will be held Feb. 15 from 9 a.m. to 12 noon at the Bridge Church in Wilmington. Rev. Dr. Clifford Barnett, chair of the UNCW Watson College of Education Dropout Prevention Coalition, was featured in a recent StarNews story about the event, which is presented by Smart Start of New Hanover County in collaboration with the Wilmington faith community. Registration for the free event is now open. Learn more >
MarineQuest Cetacean Celebration Family Event – Feb. 20
UNCW’s MarineQuest is excited to present a 2016 Cetacean Celebration Family Event! Come discover the different marine mammal species that can be found in our coastal waters. Explore their adaptation in MarineQuest’s life-size inflatable right whale and learn how they communicate and feed. The event will be held on Feb. 20 from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Registration is now open. Learn more >
Maya Youth Documentaries – Feb. 25, 6:30 p.m.
The UNCW Centro Hispano is hosting a showing of Maya Youth Documentaries, created by Indigenous participants in the Maya Traditions Foundation Chapter of the Unlocking Silent Histories' critical and creative expression program. Join us as we screen documentary shorts that provide a window into Maya life in Guatemala, as seen through the eyes of youth. Our Journey to the Smithsonian Screening Series features new films at each event. Films will be followed by a discussion.
Miracles in Motion 5K and Accessible Base Race – Feb. 27
The Watson College is proud to be a silver sponsor of the Miracles in Motion 5K and Accessible Base Race, the largest fundraiser for The Miracle League of Wilmington. The event will be held at BRAX Stadium in Olsen Park on Feb. 27. Registration is now open. Learn more >
2015 WCE Public Speaker Series
Frances O’Connell Rust, University of Pennsylvania
The Problem IS the Practice: Defining Teacher Education in a Social Media Revolution
Frances O’Connell Rust is a Senior Fellow and Director of Teacher Education programs at the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education, and Professor Emeritus, New York University Steinhardt School of Education.
Her awards include the American Educational Research Association’s Outstanding Dissertation Award (1985), the Association of Teacher Educators’ award for Distinguished Research in Teacher Education (2001) and the National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators’ Outstanding Teacher Educator Award (2008).
Archived Series Presentations
- What Works >
- Meet the Community Non-Profits >
- Outreach Spring Conference Series >
- Brown Bag Series >
- WCE Speaker Series >
- Internationalizing Education Conference >
- WCE Receives Outstanding Reaccreditation Report
- UNCW earns Carnegie Community Engagement classification
- WCE Alumni Honored as Principals of the Year
- WCE Alumni Honored as NHCS Educators of the Year
- CESTEM's 1st Annual K-12 STEM Education Conference was a success. WECT and PortCityDaily.com covered the event.
- Featured on WHQR: Wilmington Math Teacher Implements Classcraft, An Educational Role-Playing Computer Game
- ‘Stopping the School to Prison Pipeline’ Event Draws Standing-Room-Only Crowd at UNCW
- Dr. Mahnaz Moallem serves as the lead PI on a $300,000 grant from the National Science Foundation.
- Two WCE Department of ITFSE Professors Receive Grants
- Dr. Candace Thompson: UNCW Convocation 2014 Keynote Speech
- UNCW's Watson College of Education Proposal Wins $50,000!
- N.C. teachers & parents see legislative changes as harmful, survey finds
- WCE Hosts Legislative Forum
- PDS University-School Partnership Agreement Signing
View photos of the ceremony > or Read the WECT article >
- WCE Alumni & Partnership Teachers Receive Awards
- CESTEM Gets the Grants!
- Students Graduate from the Youthbuild Program at UNCW
- Duplin County Pilots Self-Mentoring Program in District
- ELMS hosts "Response to Instruction and English Language Learners: National, State and Local Issues"
- Portrait Unveiling of Dr. Cathy Barlow