Graduate courses can only be offered when a minimum of 7 students are enrolled. Fewer students may result in the cancelation of courses.
Department of Instructional Technology, Foundations, and Secondary Education
Watson College of Education
University of North Carolina
601 South College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403-5980
Academically and Intellectually Gifted (AIG) Add-on Licensure (K-12)
The mission of the Watson College of Education (WCE) AIG Program is to prepare educational leaders who will design and deliver effective programs and services for gifted and talented students. These educational leaders will ensure that gifted students achieve their potential. WCE AIG Program graduates will be able to competently design curriculum and programs, advocate for gifted students, and deliver instruction that meets the broad spectrum of exceptional needs of gifted and talented students.
AIG Program Course Sequence
- EDN 552: Introduction to Gifted Education
- EDN 553: Social and Emotional Needs of the Gifted Learner
- EDN 554: Curriculum, Methods, and Materials for Gifted Education
- EDN 555: Program Design and Implementation
Revised course sequence: EDN 552 (summer 1); EDN 553 (fall); EDN 555 (spring); EDN 554 (summer 1)
Please note: EDN 552 and EDN 553 are pre-requisites for EDN 554 and EDN 555.
AIG (K-12) Add-On Licensure
AIG Licensure in North Carolina is an additive license that compliments existing licensure areas (e.g. elementary, reading, etc.). To qualify for AIG add-on licensure, you must:
- Hold an existing “A” level teacher license in at least one licensure area
- Successfully complete 12 semester hours of coursework (i.e. AIG Program Course Sequence)
- Apply for licensure via WCE Associate Dean of Academic Programs, Dr. Carol McNulty
- NO Praxis exam required
AIG (K-12) Specialty Studies M.Ed.
The Master’s degree in AIG is a Master of Education in K-12 Specialty Studies with a focus in Academically and Intellectually Gifted. The M.Ed. in K-12 Specialty Studies requires that students have a North Carolina “A” level teacher license in at least one licensure area.