PROFESSIONALISM IN THE WORKPLACE
Email etiquette tips:
- Check your junk mail regularly. You may miss something important!
- Allow someone 24 hours to reply to your email before you email them again. Follow up by phone may be preferable.
- If you are replying to an earlier email, reference that in your reply
- Acknowledge receipt of emails from individuals
- Use proper business letter form and use a salutation
- Avoid using texting abbreviations (ur, btw, lol)
- If need immediate response, call don't email
- Use a professional email signature; it's your billboard!
- Allow people 24 hours to return your call before calling again
- In a voice mail message, leave name and phone number, a good day and time to call, and then repeat phone number
- Edit your voice mail message when your phone becomes a professional phone
- Avoid taking a call if meeting with someone in your office
- Avoid taking a calling or texting when in the presence of someone else or excuse yourself from the room
- If someone plans a meeting or meal with you, give them your undivided attention; leave calls, text replies for another time
- If in a public place, go outside to take a call!
Office Etiquette Tips
- Knock before entering offices even if the door is open
- Ask if they have a minute or better time to come back
- Avoid removing items on someone's desk without asking
- Watch your volume, especially in public areas
- Close an office door if having a private or heated convo
- Be kind to support staff and respect everyone
- Make your boss look good