CERTIFIED INTERNSHIP PROGRAM (CIP)
The Certified Internship Program (CIP) provides students with a framework to enhance knowledge through an internship or leadership experiences.
Impactful learning is achieved through assignments including: setting learning objectives with the on-site supervisor, engaging in critical reflections to process the experience, and more! The CIP is not a for-credit experience, but does satisfy the Explorations Beyond the Classroom graduation requirement and is noted on your transcript. For more information about internships, visit our Internships Page and view the Internship Guide Booklet for students, employers and faculty.
How to Enroll
STEP 1: Check eligibility
- Have you secured an internship?
- Are you a current UNCW student?
- GPA = 2.5 or higher
- Position will be at least 50 hours over 5 or more weeks
STEP 2: Apply
- Complete the CIP Application.
- E-mail a screenshot of your Degree Audit from SeaNet to Sarah Crockett (firstname.lastname@example.org) that includes:
- Your name
- Date the report was run
- Your current cumulative (overall) GPA
What happens next: Once all materials are received (from steps 1 and 2 above), the CIP Coordinator will notify you if you are accepted or if any further information is needed. Once enrolled, you will have access to the course materials via Blackboard.
Who should apply for the CIP?
- Do you have an internship (paid or unpaid) lined up for the upcoming semester (or are you extending an internship from a previous semester)?
Do you hold a leadership position in a campus club or Greek organization with an opportunity to enhance professional skills?
Will I get academic credit for the CIP?
- The CIP does not grant academic credit.
- The CIP does satisfy the Explorations Beyond the Classroom requirement (applicable for students who entered in Fall 2012 or later), assuming the student completes all requirements of the CIP.
- The CIP will be noted on your transcript as fulfilling your EBC.
What if I don't have an internship yet?
The Career Center is able to help! While the CIP is meant for students who already have an internship secured, we are able to assist students in their internship search (whether the internship is paid/unpaid, for-credit/CIP/non-credit, etc.):
- Start with our Internship Resources to find an internship related to your career goal.
- Schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor by calling (910) 962-3174, or stop by during our Career Express hours
Questions about the CIP?
- Sarah Crockett, CIP Coordinator: email@example.com
- Dalton Langdon, Graduate Assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or call to speak with a CIP Coordinator: (910) 962-3174