CERTIFIED INTERNSHIP PROGRAM (CIP)
The Certified Internship Program serves to provide students with a framework to enhance knowledge and experience learned in the classroom through their paid or unpaid internship experiences. It is open to students in all majors and all departments, currently enrolled at UNCW, who meet the eligibility requirements.
The CIP will not attempt to replace credit-bearing (or "for-credit") internships. Rather, the program targets any and all UNCW students who are seeking or have secured an internship position corresponding to an academic term* (fall, spring, summer) but are not eligible (or choose not) to receive academic credit, either because they have already fulfilled their curriculum requirement relating to this experience, or for any other reason that the internship cannot or does not satisfy an academic course requirement through University Studies or an academic department.
The overall purpose of the CIP is to get the most out of your internship experience.
*NOTE: Students who have a winter internship can choose to complete a CIP over winter term by special exception. Please contact the Career Center for further details.
|How to enroll||Questions/Contact
|Who should apply?||For M. Ed. Higher Education students
|Will I get academic credit for CIP?
||CIP Greatest Accomplishments
|What if I don't have an internship yet?
STEP 1: Check eligibility
- Have you secured an internship?
- Are you a current UNCW student?
- GPA = 2.5 or higher
- Position will be at least 50 hours over 5 or more weeks
STEP 2: Application
- Complete the CIP Application.
- E-mail a screenshot of your Degree Audit from SeaNet to Sarah Crockett (firstname.lastname@example.org) that includes:
- Your name
- Date the report was run
- Your current cumulative (overall) GPA
What happens next: Once all materials are received (from steps 1 and 2 above), the CIP Coordinator will respond within 2 business days and will notify you if you are accepted or if any further information is needed. Once enrolled, you will have access to the course materials via Blackboard.
- Do you have an internship (paid or unpaid) lined up for the upcoming semester (or are you extending an internship from a previous semester)?
Do you hold a leadership position in a campus club or Greek organization with an opportunity to enhance professional skills?
- The CIP does not grant academic credit.
- The CIP does satisfy the Explorations Beyond the Classroom requirement (applicable for students who entered in Fall 2012 or later), assuming the student completes all requirements of the CIP.
- The CIP will be noted on your transcript as fulfilling your EBC.
The Career Center is able to help! While the CIP is meant for students who already have an internship secured, we are able to assist students in their internship search (whether the internship is paid/unpaid, for-credit/CIP/non-credit, etc.):
- Start with our Internship Resources to find an internship related to your career goal.
- Schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor by calling (910) 962-3174, or stop by during our Career Express hours
- Sarah Crockett, CIP Coordinator: email@example.com
- Natalie Palmer, CIP Coordinator/GA: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or call to speak with a CIP Coordinator: (910) 962-3174