Check out the FAQs in AskTAC
Think you Have a Virus?
Antivirus for Students, Faculty & Staff
(for Personally-Owned Machines)
To improve your online security, UNCW is moving to new technologies for virus protection on your personal (non-UNCW owned) machines. Based on extensive testing and industry information, we have identified free products that will provide enhanced security and protect you against a wider array of viruses and malware than the previously provided Symantec Antivirus/Endpoint Protection.
IMPORANT NOTE: The software on this page should not be installed on UNCW-owned machines. For antivirus protection on a UNCW-owned computer, please contact the TAC for a computer consultant to install the appropriate software.
Before Downloading New Antivirus Software
If you currently have antivirus software installed on your computer, including Symantec Antivirus/Endpoint Protection (previously provided), you need to uninstall it before downloading the new antivirus.
If you need information on uninstalling a different antivirus, you should contact the software provider or search online for instructions. For help, contact the TAC.
Download Security Essentials (Windows/PCs)
- Download Security Essentials (Microsoft site)
- NOTE for Windows 8 and Windows RT machines: You are already protected by Windows Defender. More details here (Microsoft site)
- Help and Support for Microsoft Security Essentials (Microsoft site)
Download Macintosh Antivirus
- Download ClamXav Antivirus from the App Store or download from the ClamXav site (ClamXav is currently one of the highest rated antivirus apps available for Macs.)
- More on ClamXav (ClamXav site)
NOTE: For other viable options of antivirus for Macs, please search the App Store.