Summer Sessions

aireal view of boat going down the waterway

Financial Aid

All students who wish to receive financial aid for Summer School must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA. In addition to completing a FAFSA, all students must complete the UNCW Summer Aid Application to be considered.


Students who are currently enrolled or who have been granted admission to pursue an academic course of study are eligible for consideration of funding. Aid is not available for visiting or unclassified students. Grants for need-based students is on a first come, first serve basis (minimum enrollment does not apply) and typically exhausted in March. Limited financial aid is available for students attending Summer School at UNCW. 

Summer Enrollment

Students must be enrolled at least half time to be eligible for Pell Grant, Federal Direct Student Loans & Parent PLUS Loan Programs. Full-time status for undergraduates in the summer is 12 credit hours (combined total from Summer I and Summer II). Graduate students must be enrolled for 9 credit hours (combined total from Summer I and Summer II) to be considered full-time. Graduate students who are taking thesis hours or are teaching assistants or research assistants are also considered full-time.

Military Students and Summer Financial Aid 

Veterans are special to UNCW. Additional UNCW information targeted to veterans, active duty military, and dependents can be found here. This page is a part of special services developed to make non-traditional students feel welcome.

For students using Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits:

  • Ensure you submit your Certificate of Eligibility of Letter (or formal documentation) from the VA showing what chapter you qualify for;
  • Be sure to register for classes ASAP once you are able to.

For a workflow of the process, including important dates and detailed instructions, click here.

Summer Aid Disbursement 

Fund disbursement will occurs 10 days before the start of classes and refunds for overpayment are processed by Student Accounts the first week of class.  Federal Pell and Loans require half-time enrollment. For example, Pell or loans for a student with 3 hours in the first summer session and 3 hours in the second summer session will be disbursed when classes start for the second summer session. This means that you may need to plan to pay for books and receive your reimbursement when financial aid can be paid, or charge bookstore dollars to your account.

Summer Aid and SAP

Summer School coursework is subject to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy for Financial Aid Eligibility detailed in the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalogues.

Additional Information

For exceptions, other financing options, or questions, please reach out to your Financial Aid Counselor.