Summer Sessions

UNC System schools

Summer Visiting Students

Students currently enrolled in another college or university, who intend to return to their home institution, may attend UNCW in the summer as a Summer Visiting student. Summer Visiting students may enroll in classes at UNCW for Summer Sessions only. To learn how to become a Summer Visiting student, please click here.

  • Deadlines to receive application AND Transient Study Form:
    • Summer I 2019 - April 28, 2020
    • Summer II 2019 - June 9, 2020
  • Transient Study Form and Alternatives:
    • In addition to submitting the Permission (Summer Visiting) Appication for Summer Semester, the Transient Study Form is a form that your home institution provides, indicating the student has met any prerequisites for the course the student is intending to take at UNCW and that the course will transfer back to the student's home institution.
    • If a student is unable to obtain a Transient Study Form, alternative documents that can be provided are: Unofficial transcripts, letter or statement from an advisor or school representative stating the course approval.
    • Students can obtain a Transient Study Form by contacting their home institution's Admission's Office, Registrar's Office, or Academic Advisor.
  • Course Registration:
    • Once admitted, students will receive an email in their UNCW email account with a time ticket and registration information that will include how and when to register.
    • For registration questions, contact Naamah Noble in the UNCW Registrar's Office at

The Permission (Summer Visiting) application must be submitted through SeaLevel.

  • Create a SeaLevel Account
  • Choose "Apply to UNCW"
  • Select "Start Your Permission Application for Summer Semester".  NOTE:  Any student claiming in-state residence will need to complete the residency questionnaire and input the RCN# in the application to obtain in-state tuition.

All applications are processed by the Office of Admissions and admission notifications are generated usually within a weeks' time from the date of online submission and are viewable through SeaLevel. However, if an applicant has answered 'yes' to any of the campus safety questions, additional steps and time may be required. Campus Safety Questions Information and FAQ's.

If you wish to continue your enrollment from summer sessions into the fall or spring semesters, you will need to apply as a Permission student. A student may only attend as a permission student for two consecutive semesters, not including summer sessions.

Orientation & Advising

Summer Visiting students do not need to attend orientation; however, if your admission status changes to degree-seeking, you will be required to attend the next available orientation. Additionally, you will not have an academic advisor assigned. The advisor at your current college or university will remain as your primary advisor. It is suggested that you provide an unofficial copy of your current transcript to the Office of the Registrar, in the event our course requires a prerequisite course taken at your current college or university.

If you have questions regarding pre-requisites and/or the registration process at UNCW, please contact the Office of the Registrar at
910.962.3125 or