Sociology and Criminology MA Program


I am interested in applying to your program. How do I start my application?

You will need to start an application through the UNCW Graduate School’s Apply Yourself system. If you have questions of technical issues please email

What are the requirements to be admitted to your program?

To be considered for admission, you must submit the following: an application for graduate admission; official transcripts of all college work; GRE scores; 3 letters of recommendation; a writing sample in the form of a cover letter or statement of interest. A more detailed description can be found on our admission requirements page.

Is the program amendable to the schedule of someone working full-time?

Yes. All of our classes are offered in the late afternoon or evening, with the majority being held once a week, 5:30-8:45 PM. All of our degree requirements are designed to be completed in four semesters of full-time study or six semesters of part-time study .

I am an international student interested in applying to your program. What are the specific admission requirements for international students?

See the Graduate School’s requirements for international students (see “international applicants” under “additional information”).

I’d like to visit before I apply. How can I set up a campus visit?

Contact the Graduate Program Coordinator, Dr. Jill Waity, 910.962.3660, to set up a campus visit any time of year. It is also recommended that prospective students attend the MA Program Open House in January where they can meet faculty and current graduate students in a casual, informal environment.

What financial assistance is available for graduate study in your program?

Our program provides a number of ways that can help students to fund their graduate school experience, including funding from the department, financial assistance from UNCW, and funding from general sources. Interested students are encouraged to read more on these sources on our funding for graduate school page.

I am interested in receiving financial assistance for graduate study. How do I apply?

Individual applicants may apply for the funding themselves by checking the appropriate box on their graduate school application. To receive full consideration for financial assistance, a completed application must be received by the February 15th deadline.

How can I find out the status of my application?

Applicants who have submitted their application can monitor the status of the application in Apply Yourself. The graduate school has more detailed information on how to monitor your application status.

Whom do I contact for more information or for questions not answered here?

Please contact the Graduate Program Coordinator, Dr. Jill Waity (910.962.3660;